Z: Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina

Blue Ridge Parkway: North Carolina (September 2017)

Focusing has been difficult the past few months, so I'm taking an alternative approach to A-Z this year: looking back at past travel, editing or re-editing images from travels before, and responding to travel-related questions. Hope you are able to join me on this journey to my past!

For Day Z, I have this fun shot of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I found it, and I thought the sun was pretty in the sky and decided to throw it in photoshop and see what would happen. 

Other places I considered for this post: ?

Onward –

77. How does traveling make you feel?

All of the emotions. Good, bad, sad, happy, frustrated, angry, excited, in awe.

When I travel, my emotions are an adventure. It really depends on where I'm going, what I'm doing, and my comfort level. Some trips are easier than others.

78. What kind of traveler are you?

I think I actually answered this earlier in the A-Z challenge. Having answered so many questions, I'm going to try this out again –

• I love finding places with an art scene. Creative architecture (or different from what I'm used to), modern art museums, street art… I always love taking in a city's culture by exploring it through art.
• Foodie. I'm not incredibly adventurous, but I like trying different food fads and exploring instagrammable food locations. Street food is the best! Farm-to-table can be nice if it's not too expensive. I also always make a point to try foods that are popular in a place; my one exception is seafood, which I never eat.
• If there is a jazz club, I'm there! Basement jazz in NYC and Latin-style jazz in Miami? Bring it on. I'm planning to explore jazz in LA this summer!
• I'm a planner; that's part of the travel experience for me. Once I get to my destination, all bets are off, though! If something better comes up, I don't mind abandoning my plans!

I can't really think of an overall summarization of what kind of traveler I am. I guess, as a traveler, each experience plays a role in the next one and I'm always evolving, learning something new (both about myself and travel), and altering both my actual day-to-day life and my travel-life.

79. What is the scariest experience you've had while traveling?

My first trip to Miami, I was pretty anxious. I was concerned about drugs and drinking on Ocean Boulevard. Keeping that in mind, my husband and I were walking through Ocean Boulevard our first night in Miami to see the awesome art deco and neon lights. I needed to go to the restroom  There was a line, but eventually a stall opened up. A woman in the stall next to me was on the floor but I didn't think anything of it. Next thing I know someone is knocking on her stall asking if she's ok. No response. Turns out she had passed out in the stall. I've got a pretty weak tolerance for anything medical, but my mind went to the worst case scenario. As I was planning to leave the restroom, women were attempting to call emergency services for the unresponsive woman. I couldn't stay to find out more, I was feeling sick. I left the bathroom with a look on my face that caused my husband to immediately question what was wrong. I couldn't answer before puking in a nearby bush; we got back to the hotel room as quickly as possible. I was done exploring. To this day, I don't know what happened with the unresponsive woman in the bathroom. I sincerely hope she was okay and that I was overreacting to a situation I was already nervous about.

Side note: Ocean Boulevard is definitely worth exploring during the day and night! If you have a weak stomach or sensitivity to alcohol or drugs, it might be best to visit when fewer people are there during the off-season. (Our first visit was the week of July 4th.) There are drinking and drugs in this area of Miami. But can't you find that almost anywhere to a small degree? Don't let it hold you back from visiting. (Though, maybe, visit in the day time with kids.)

And just like that April A-Z is over! Thanks for joining in and following along with me! What was your favorite day of the month? Did you have a favorite travel question? Did you learn anything surprising about travel … or your favorite blogger … over the past month? 

Be sure to come back for an A-Z review Monday!


See other posts in this year's A-Z.

ABCDEFG HIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...