R: Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany (May 2014)

Focusing has been difficult the past few months, so I'm taking an alternative approach to A-Z this year: looking back at past travel, editing or re-editing images from travels before, and responding to travel-related questions. Hope you are able to join me on this journey to my past!

For Day R, I went with this awesome shot of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany. I think it's been one of my favorite cities to explore there. I loved climbing up on the wall that surrounds the city to get a better view of it.

Other places I considered for this post: ???

Onward –

52. Do you prefer solo travel or with someone else?

I've never done solo travel, but I think I would always prefer to travel with someone else. Yes, I can definitely see how there would be benefits to solo travel – being forced to think on your feet, potentially trying to work out how to ask for something in a language you aren't familiar with, being able to explore whatever you want whenever you want to, having the opportunity to eat exactly what you want for dinner…

BUT.

There is an absolute beauty in traveling with other people. I'm not just talking about opening a bottle of wine for a picnic with friends while watching the sunset in Italy.


No. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the struggle you face in the planning of travel and in the execution of said travel. It's like Ryan Gosling, as Sebastian, explained in the movie La La Land: "It's conflict and it's compromise. It's new every time. It's brand new {...}. Very, very exciting!"

I love that traveling with people gives me new perspectives and challenges my way of thinking; it puts me in uncomfortable situations and forces me to deal with it.

Of course, it gets more complicated and confusing (and exciting!) when you attempt to travel with people who have a different cultural background than yourself.

In the end, I think what you learn and gain from the experience is absolutely beautiful. You have a deeper connection with the people you've traveled with, which, depending on your attitude toward the whole event, is either a good or bad thing. (Hopefully good!)

So, yeah. Groups are where I am at. Or even just trying to compromise with my husband.

Anyone have a preference for solo travel that they want to explain to me?

53. Is there anything you always do before you leave home?

Clean.

I try to make sure there are no dishes in the dishwasher, no lingering clothing that needs to be washed, no sheets and towels are left dirty, that the floor is vacuumed and mopped, that we are leaving the bathroom looking pristine, and that the trash emptied. (No one wants to come back to bugs!)

I know this sounds weird, but I am always afraid I will die while traveling and I don't want family and friends coming into my home thinking "Dang! She was messy!" 😂

54. Do you think you will stay friends with the people you've met while traveling?

Most of them, no. It's really sad because there are a lot of great people out in the world! I would love to stay in touch!

Anyone I've met while traveling that I previously knew through online connections, sure. I mean by meeting haven't we given the relationship more depth? There is knowing someone through their words alone and then knowing someone through their actions. If you've experienced both, I feel like you have the opportunity to really get to know a person on a truly deep level.

Again though, it all comes down to both parties involved, though. If, for example, I want to continue to develop my relationship with someone but that other person doesn't? It doesn't matter what I want. Both people have to want it.

So, yeah. If you can maintain friendships with people you've met while traveling, I think you totally should! It's a great way to develop character and learn more about the world. But if you can't, don't sweat it.

Have you ever experienced travel with another party? Family, friends…? Did you find beauty in compromise? Or were you ready for a break from them before your trip had even begun?! 😳


See other posts in this year's A-Z.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...