G: Germany

(May 2014)

(May 2014)

Focusing has been difficult the past few months, so I'm taking an alternative approach to A-Z this year: looking back at past travel, editing or re-editing images from travels before, and responding to travel-related questions. Hope you are able to join me on this journey to my past!

For Day G, I have a few shots from Germany. Don't ask me where; it's been too long. I wasn't good at making notes of where I was and what I was doing back then. Plus, we were visiting some friends for their wedding, so we were just kind of going with the flow and doing whatever they suggested we do. The pictures are nice even though it looks a little wet outside.

Other places I considered for this post: Georgia (the state)

Here are today's questions –

19. What's your favorite childhood travel memory?

Going to Walt Disney World when I was 6. We stayed with my cousins in Tampa and spent half of our time at the parks and half of our time at the beach. One cousin was older than me by about 10 years, and I remember driving her crazy. She was into boys and talking on the phone; I was the pesky 6-year-old following her around trying to be just like her. Her younger brother, only about 5 years older than me, was much more fun.

I remember my parents putting me to bed the night before we were to drive to Tampa, and I could not sleep. I tossed and turned with excitement. They woke me up at 2am and prayed that I would sleep the whole car ride, which I didn't. They may have gotten tired of hearing "Are we there yet?" because my dad eventually told me that we would not be "there" until it was a certain time, and he had me watch the car clock. He also tried to explain miles per hour to a six-year-old; you can imagine how well that went over.

I don't remember all that we did at the park, but I do remember getting a light-up rose which I held onto forever after the fact. My favorite parks were EPCOT and Magic Kingdom. I got hugs from Mickey and Minnie (and adorable pictures to prove it).

When we got home, I asked my parents when we would be going back. The answer? Six years.

And I did not let my parents forget that. The next trip I planned and invited my grandparents to come to. It was the longest six years ever, but totally worth the wait.

20. Do you call yourself a traveler or a tourist?

Traveler.

To me, being a traveler is getting off the beaten path, a little. It's someone who tries to take in the culture. I question tourist attractions and try to determine if they are worth visiting rather than just going mindlessly. I try new foods in the places I visit. I try to be respectful of other countrys' cultures, religions, ideas, and beliefs even if I don't understand them.

A tourist is more about getting a tour guide and seeing the world from the perspective of someone who can afford to see the world. You book the expensive hotels, make reservations at the choicest of restaurants; it's seeing the world through rose-colored glasses.

Backpackers are probably the most culturally aware of all travelers. I do believe you see more living on a shoestring budget and the charity of the people you surround yourself with while traveling than you do any other way. Only by making yourself so completely vulnerable can you truly get a feel for the place and the working class that lives there.

Tourists and travelers give themselves an out. They can retreat to a fancy hotel or afford the more expensive food a place has to offer whenever they get tired of where they are.

21. Do you prefer hot, cold, or temperate places?

Don't we all prefer temperate places? –– Of course, what is temperate? To me, I'm all for temperatures from 60-80ºF.

That aside, my next choice would be cold. I always love bundling up in sweaters. Plus, you can always put more clothes on, right?

But beaches do call my name, quite often. And I do think beaches are prettier to photograph than snow. (Anyone have any tips for me?)

Do you hear any differences in the words "traveler", "tourist", and backpacker or am I reading too much into it (as dictated by the question)? Do you think where you live influences your preferences on temperature?


See other posts in this year's A-Z.

ABCDEF


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...