V: Venice, Italy

Venice, Italy (May 2014)

Focusing has been difficult the past few months, so I'm taking an alternative approach to A-Z this year: looking back at past travel, editing or re-editing images from travels before, and responding to travel-related questions. Hope you are able to join me on this journey to my past!

For Day V, I chose the gorgeous city of Venice. When I started this A-Z journey, the goal was to work forward starting with my oldest images and working my way toward my newest images. Life got in the way and that ended up not working out how I envisioned it to, but this was one of the first images I edited for the challenge. Hopefully, you like it! ❤️

Other places I considered for this post: ?? When you get to the end of the alphabet, it gets hard thinking of places that fit letters!

To the questions –

65. What's your favorite pizza topping?

😛What an appropriate question to fall under Venice!

At first, I dismissed this question as non-travel, but I can see how where you've been would have an effect on your taste in pizza. For example, I have only ever had knock-off Chicago-style pizza, so my preferences are generally to avoid it. One day I do plan to visit Chicago and try this style pizza for real.

For traditional American pizza, I'm a fan of extra cheese, pepperoni, and pineapple.

If we are talking California Pizza Kitchen pizza, Justin and I always get the BLT pizza. Lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayo on a pizza? It sounds weird but it's delicious!

Italian brick oven style pizza is best with simple ingredients – buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and basil. I've also had this style with burrata and that's really good. :)

66. What's the best Airbnb you've stayed at?

There are several, so I'm going to list them out.

• I stayed at an Airbnb in the outskirts of Savannah, GA once with my brother, sister-in-law, parents, and husband. We stayed on July 4th and were able to see fireworks in the distance off of a dock in the swampy backyard. It was great not having to leave the house to see the fireworks! Another benefit for the Airbnb was that a seafood place was located across the street. I'm not a fan of seafood but my family loved ordering the family meal and sharing amongst themselves.

As for the house itself? It was mediocre. Beds were hard. Owners were particular. In the end, it worked and I have positive associations because of all of the good aspects of the Airbnb.

• In Crailsheim, Germany, Justin and I rented an apartment from a guy that was so sweet. First, he was like "Are you sure you want to travel on May 1? Nothing is open!" And then he stocked the house with food for us. <3. I had never had muesli before, so that was a really cool experience for me. Then we had to learn to operate German blinds and figure out the washing machine. I had never seen a European style toilet before! Anyway, it was a lot of fun staying at this guy's apartment and a great first experience in Germany.

• When we rented a place in Marseilles, France, the owners were super kind and helpful. We came not having a plan and they helped us figure one out. They recommend a park to visit and food to eat. From this experience, I learned to always talk to the people who are hosting you; you never know what they will recommend and they know far more about your destination than you do!

• The last amazing Airbnb experience I'm going to share is from a trip with friends to NYC. We stayed in Harlem in a gigantic 4 story townhouse with roof access (if you were brave enough to go up there!). The owners lived right next door and were so kind and helpful even going so far as to obtain an iron and ironing board for us! While the property was amazing and beautiful, the experience of staying with friends probably made the stay unforgettable.

I complain that it can be hard traveling in groups and that it is hard to manage expectations when you do so, but I never explain that the beauty in group travel, at least for me, is finding compromise and learning how to get along with people better. <3.

67. Where do you wish you were right now?

At the beach.

We went to Miami at the beginning of April and it was so nice getting outside. It was breezy outside with a high of 80º. We enjoyed sitting in the shade whether at the pool or at my favorite Latin jazz club, Ball & Chain. The food was tremendous. It was great having a distraction from life.

But I don't have to go to Miami. I could go to Hawai'i, LA, France… Any beach anywhere in the world!

I just miss the sun, the ocean, and the tropical beach foods.

And perhaps travel too. ❤️

If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be? What's your favorite pizza topping?


See other posts in this year's A-Z.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMN OPQRSTU


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...