Today's Task

I'm not big into celebrating romantic holidays. I don't get the point of buying Valentine's Day gifts... I have no idea which anniversaries are the most important. Is it really a big deal to make it through one year together when many other couples I know have been together years and years longer than Justin and I have? Besides, what is the big deal about being together for so long? Do we anticipate a break up/divorce in our future?

No.

So why would we celebrate one year married? Or 8 1/2 years together?

We haven't made it... We aren't to the end of this fight yet. We still have at least 50 more years to go! + a house, a dog, the possibility of children, roaming the world, and far more to get through first! (Hopefully, Justin won't read this, get scared, run off, and leave me! I know I would!)

Nevertheless, I was thinking this morning about how far we have come in the past few years. Seeing as it was our anniversary this past weekend, I thought I might blog about it.

I'm just going to be straight up honest. (I struggle to be anything but honest.) I wasn't sure about dating Justin... let alone marrying him! (Was I crazy?) All I know is that nothing but positive has come from the experience. (Ok, so maybe there was a little bit of negative.)

One of the greatest lessons I have learned and experienced since beginning to date Justin and eventually marrying him is that of unconditional love. Did you hear that? Unconditional.

Do you know what that means?

???

That means that no matter what I do... join the marines, start doing drugs, go to jail, move across the country, do the most stupid thing you can imagine, Justin will still love me. He may not want to be married to me, but he will still love me. That gives you a crazy amount of freedom once you realize that your spouse has chosen to love you unconditionally. You expect it from your parents and your family, but, in the world we currently live in, unconditional love in marriage is hard to find.

Obviously Justin's choice of loving me unconditionally has transformed my life immensely. Not only do I feel free to pursue my own desires and communicate my deepest struggles with my husband, but it has taught me how to love unconditionally as well. Neither of us gets it right all of the time, but we try. That's the important part, right?

So while I don't necessarily believe in celebrating romantic holidays, I definitely encourage you to seek unconditional love** in your life... both in giving and receiving.

**See 1 Corinthians as a strong example of how to best love another.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...