Monthly Financial Update: September 2020

When reviewing my finances for 2018, I mentioned my desire to look at them on a monthly basis in 2019. Justin and I spent a little too much in 2018 and let our finances get the best of us. Maybe by looking at our finances monthly (and let you guys/gals keep me in check), we will do better this year.


That's the goal anyway.

Here's month #9 for 2020:

Spending:

Compared to Last Year –
green = this year, yellow = last

green = this year, yellow = last year



Compared to Last Month –
green = this month, yellow = last


dotted line = last month, green line = this month



Where We Spent Our Money:

Top 10 Merchants:

1. Amazon (server parts, hobby parts)
2. Ebay (server parts, hobby parts)

3. Bank (balance transfer fee)
4. Free People
5. Instacart (groceries, membership. tips)
6. Anthropologie (all returns that i need to make)
7. Costco 
8. Toco Giant (liquor store)
9. Poshmark (Justin clothes)
10. Redrock Minnesota (soda chargers)

Top 10 Categories:
1. Shopping (server parts, parts for hobby, clothes for me)
2. Food & Dining (Instacart membership, soda chargers)

4. Fees & Charges (includes balance transfer fee)
5. Auto & Transport
6. Financial
7. Bills & Utilities
8. Gifts & Donations (3 gifts)

Budgeting:
 Gas & Fuel – under
 Groceries – over
 Restaurants  under
✓ Hair Appointments - under
✗ Everything Else – over

Net Income:



Debt:

student loans

credit cards



How Did I Do On My Financial Goals for August?
 Figure out our living situation first and foremost. 
 Look at budget and make adjustments.
 Decide what the plan is for stock options.
 List 5 items on Poshmark/Ebay.
 Make sure all returns are completed.

Numbers:
* Loan Payoff Date 5/1/24 (improved by 2 months)
* Credit Card Payoff Date 10/1/21 (added 2 months)
* Emergency Funds: $16,213
• 401K $55,382.86 (down?)
• investments $236,470
• Credit Scores: 758 (Justin), 756, 750 (me): up for both of us

Overview of the Biggest Impacts This Month:
1. Getting a server set up.
2. Justin started a new hobby he had to buy the parts for.
3. Getting Instacart.
4. Questioning our living situation and getting new information that will help us determine what we will be doing in the future.
5. Transfering money for a lower interest rate.

What went wrong this month?
1. Realizing Drobo could die easily and I wouldn't have a back up of my files. We had to replace three of the Drobo drives (for the second time in 3 months) and then decided setting up a server might be a good idea. (Didn't want to go with a second Drobo.)
2. Trying new haircare and skincare products. Some were a waste of money and others were an unexpected expensive success.
3. Running out of soda chargers and then only getting 3/4 of our order. (In contact with the company to remedy the situation.)
4. We spent more than we made.
5. Editing more images than will fit in the pricepoint of a $150 book I'm getting as a test. So what was supposed to be free will cost. Of course.

What went right this month?
1. Continued selling things on Poshmark/ebay!
2. Using Instacart means we aren't perusing the grocery store aisles buying things we don't need. Instead we are trying to meet the Instacart $35/store minimum.
3. Not having to participate in as many birthday celebrations.  Saving money on restaurants and gifts.
4. My new work schedule means we are spending less on gas.
5. Getting the money back from a tire warranty.

Financial plans/goals for September
1. List 5 items on Poshmark or ebay.
2. Return clothes to Anthropologie/Von Maur/Forever 21/Express, hand sanitizer to Bath & Body Works
3. Check on my $500 check and find out where it is.
4. Submit my work for a free photo book.
5. FIX AMAZON.

September was expensive in a surprising way. I was expecting it to cost a bunch in one way, but it ended up costing money in a different way. I'm excited about the new server my husband is setting up and hoping it will be faster than the Drobo we currently have. I'm also happy with my skincare purchases and excited about the book I'm getting and grateful for the coupon I will be using.

Maybe that's why financial problems are so difficult. Spending feels fun when you are doing it, but in the end you still have to cover the costs you've accrued. Dang it. Guess that's why I do these posts.

Justin and I have some stock options coming up that will need to be purchased. Guess it's time to buckle down and start thinking and worrying about that. I have one last push over the weekend for finishing a project, but after that I should probably take a look at my budget and try to figure out how to make the next couple of months work

Thanks for listening faithful readers! I was hoping to get out of debt so much sooner than I have, but like losing weight, every day/week/month/year is a battle. Maybe one day I'll get it sorted out.

How do you balance protection (like of pictures/documents but could also include bodily safety)/happiness (why my husband started his new hobby) and keeping spending to a minimum? Are there any tips and tricks I should try? Any ways to have it all?

Financial Resolution Goals 2020


Financial Resolution Goals 2019




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...