Daily Blogging + Challenges: What I've Learned


I've been doing daily blogging since January and blogging challenges for the past 3 months. In an effort to be rectitudinous*, here is my list of what I've learned both good and bad:

1. Daily blogging can be difficult. Some days you are on top of it, and you know exactly what to blog about; other days your mind draws a blank and you can't think of anything to write about. Even with prompts it can still be difficult. It's not always about the subject per say, sometimes it's about relating to the subject and making the topic your own. If the topic is not your own, why are you blogging about it?

2. I started the challenges so that I could focus more on developing my writing and less on worrying about what I would talk about. Some days that is difficult to do. There are definitely days when I don't worry about content or what the topic is and just free write. Of course, on those days, I am usually doing something like editing images or making money…

3. Even with my topic given to me, daily blogging can take upwards of an hour a day. I like to include images in my posts, and those can take a while to edit (usually an hour or more). Then there is the text which must be edited multiple times… sometimes even after posting.

4. Usually blogging wins out when work should. I like being consistent, but it probably shouldn't come at the cost of doing my work. :( Of course, at the same time, every time I edit an image well, I am building my portfolio. In that sense, I am doing work. This is the struggle of making money versus being/becoming an artist.

5. Posting something on a blog, whether it is a picture or text, makes me second guess myself. Is my work done well? Will I look back in a few months embarrassed at what I've posted? On the one hand it is good; on the other hand, it takes up a lot of my time. I go back and edit images and text multiple times. THEN when I go back a few months later, I usually find that my work has improved. That is generally a good thing except that it makes me want to redo that which I've already done. *shrugs*

If you are thinking about joining a challenge and doing daily blogging, the amount of time it takes up and your current life goals should be taken into consideration. Are you doing it for the masses? for yourself? Do you have something you are hoping to improve upon? Daily blogging is NOT the same as journaling, and you should be well aware of that before beginning a daily blogging regimen.


** This post is thanks to NaBloPoMo, offering bloggers tips on blogging, monthly blogging prompts, and chances to win prizes! :)


3 comments:

  1. I think the major problem that you described well - daily blogging is not the same as journaling. It is as also not enough to post just a random information that for reader is hard to relate to anything. But at the same time, I find it extremely fun to share some very interesting moments of my life, presented in a good story, with the beginning and the end. And again, I don't do it just because - I do it because my artistic side asks for it. I think that is what we have in common :) Keep up with blogging every day! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy, great post! I find that writing daily is more difficult than I thought it would be- the writing takes just a moment, but the editing, adding a pinnable post and promoting the post take a lot of time!I will be happy to go back to my usual schedule of 2-3 times a week when this is over, but right now I stil enjoy NaBloPoMo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I, too, am enjoying NaBloPoMo, I know that my regular schedule is calling me. If for no other reason than I can schedule posts and let it ride more days than not. If I post and let it ride now, I feel like I'm not doing enough. The "extra" stuff related to blogging is what is most difficult for me - the frequent social media activity.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...