7 Things to Do In Dresden

The beautiful city of Dresden

In T minus 48 hours my husband and I will be headed to the airport to board our flight for New York City. I can hardly believe that after several months of planning, that time is almost here! After exploring New York City for a few days, we will be moving on to Paris, Strasbourg, Stuttgart, and Prague. Of course the last city we will visit before leaving Europe is Dresden, a German city rich with cultural and political history. (Read more about it here.)  Plus, we will be accompanied by a few of our German friends! What could be a better way to end our trip to Europe?

Anyway, after learning more about the city through Google, the following is my bucketlist of things to do and see in this amazing city. 

1. Admire Elbwiesen.

Iconic views of the old town + river? Totally in! I'd do that in a heartbeat! Another option? Brühlsche Terrassen.

2. Explore Semperoper (the opera house).

They are showing a ballet one night we are there and an opera the second night. I've never been to an opera before, so that could be a cool way to see the opera house, even though it is an Italian opera. Or… we could just tour it. It kind of depends on what our friends want to do. I'm totally up for the Pretty Woman experience though. :)

3. See beautiful art and sculptures at Zwinger Palace.

Built as a palace in the rococo style, it is now home to several art museums featuring some of the world's most famous art and scientific instruments? The question is: who decided to put those two things together? Either way, the courtyard, even if we didn't manage to actually go in to the museums, is absolutely incredible and worth a view.

Hofkirche at sunset.

4. Climb to the top of the Frauenkirche and judge the masses below.

Once again – a beautiful city view? I'm there! But I may be extremely tired of stairs by the end of our trip… The Kreuzkirche Tower is 6€ and not quite as strenuous, so that might be another option. Here is a list of a few other places in which we can get views.

5. Look for the Kunsthof-Passage.

Look out for this section of town to discover interesting and unique art on buildings. It's a little out of the way, but it looks like a lot of fun and very photo worthy.

6. Explore a castle or two.

I have it on good authority that there are castles nearby. I'm not sure which one is most worth a visit though…

7. Umm… The Hygiene Museum?

I must admit I am a bit skeptical about this, but it has good reviews. From what I understand, it is a science museum about people and their relationships with each other and the world, as well as "this is how we work". According to TripAdvisor, the exhibit is only in Deutsch which makes it sound like a fun trivia game. Charades perhaps? Only we'd be doing the guessing without ever figuring out if we were in fact correct in our assumptions. Seeing as I bought French cookbooks in French in Paris last time I was there, I'd like to think I'd be up for a fun game of "guess the exhibit", but would I be into the hygiene of it all? … the science? Only one way to find out!

Have you ever been to Dresden? If so, what were some of your favorite things to do there? If not, is there anything on this list that stands out to you? Would you consider Dresden, Germany for a future vacation?

** I'm participating in Susannah Conway's December Reflections. Are you? Today's post was #13 a response to "A is for" referring to how my husband and I took German in school. :)


Suitcases and Sandcastles


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...