Persistence Pays Off (I Keep Telling Myself)


Today I'm trying to channel a bit of Ira Glass and some optimism into my work.

I was going about my business on Sunday night, editing like mad and getting sick of the same 2400 images that were on my laptop. I refused to switch out my European pictures to the second set of 3000 until I managed to get through the first 3000 (that I had gotten down to 2400 by Sunday night). Anyway, somehow or another I managed to drag that folder of the 2400 unedited images to my trashcan and delete them. Intelligent, right? I think it was my subconscious saying I was done with that set of images. I was done editing them, and I was done looking at them; they made me sick.

I did learn my lesson a few years back though, and so I had a back-up folder. Two, actually! :) So my loving husband pulled my deleted folder back onto my desktop. We had the computer moving files all night since it said it would take 5 hours for me to get my files back. When I woke up the next morning though, there were only 900 images in the folder! The back-up had failed to bring over 1600 images! Needless to say, I find 900 images a lot more handle-able than 2400, so I am going along with it for now. I'm just getting really frustrated with my editing skills as I feel they are going downhill the more I edit these images I've seen a few thousand times. I keep thinking about how much more quickly I could just send these files to someone for pay to edit, someone with way more experience and patience than I have. BUT I know that if I keep editing and keep practicing, I will get better. I just need to have patience.

Is there any skill you are working on and developing that you are getting frustrated with? Have you had to practice patience and persistence lately?

"For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. [...] It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions." – Ira Glass

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...