Rooftop View + Dresses


Last year the best HDR shot I could get from my camera on the rooftop of a building in Charleston was ... with my cell phone. :( I got some pretty great shots from my cell phone, and I am not at all complaining. I do have to say that I am pretty in love with the above shot taken using bracketing and combining the images in photoshop to create HDR style detail in both the clouds and the buildings. Perhaps I'll being trying this method again very soon. :)

Moving on...

I received two dresses in the mail yesterday which I am pretty excited to tell you about.


When I was checking out the Free People website, I came across the Sundial FP One Dip Dye Emily Slip. I wasn't entirely sure I liked it, but since it was on sale ($69 down from $98) and the store was within driving distance I decided to go ahead and order it.


I also ordered the Seamless Mini to wear under the slip based on suggestions in the review section of the Free People site.

After about 30 minutes of trying on the ivory and mint colored slip with many different things under it and over it, I was in love (as I always am with pretty dresses). I especially loved pairing it with a small brown Anthropologie belt with gold specks on it that I had bought on sale forever ago and had yet to find a use for. With a camisole and petticoat underneath, the belt positioned just under the bust and denim coat, I felt like I was really styling. :) Then I tried pairing it with jeans and a sweater which was also cute and more casual. I found nearly half a million (okay, maybe just two) ways to wear the slip and all of them were cute!

As for the sizing and fit, I bought the extra small and it fit perfectly for someone with a small chest. Hips and waist size, while it may look tight on the model, is actually not terribly fitting. The slip flairs out a bit below the chest providing ample room to fill especially if, for example, you have a small chest and wide hips. Women with larger chests, however, may need to go up a size or so. The dress itself is really flattering when worn with a belt. You definitely have to provide shape enhancement if that is what you want. I should also mention that the slip is also incredibly see-through since it is lace. You will not be able to walk out of the house in just the dress/slip, and the dress does not come with a slip underneath like what is shown on the model (i.e. it is unlined). Also, keep in mind that models are tall. For me, this dress hits right above the knee. I can wear it with jeans, but it is still a dress on my 5'2" body. I think the dress would look adorable with the Charmed Lariot Pendant! :)

As for the Seamless Mini ... I will probably be returning it. I haven't yet found a way to wear it. This dress/slip fits like a glove.  It will follow EVERY curve whether you want it to or not. I thought it was too slim fitting to wear under the dip dye Emily slip, but I'm sure others may think it is perfect. I think it really just depends on body type. Do not buy this slip if what you really need is shape wear though; it will not do the job. It is a really soft slip though. The length is good for shorter people with the slip hitting right where it hits the model; I'm not sure if this slip will work for taller people?


I also received the Tea Rose dress from Bhldn in turquoise yesterday. I was heart broken when they sold out of the pink dress similar to this in my size, but I have to admit I'm not too upset that I get to prance around in the turquoise version of this dress. When I first pulled it out of the box, which was nearly impossible to open by the way, I just knew the dress was going to be too big for me. Based on the sizing chart, I had ordered a size 2. The color was beautiful, the lace was beautiful, but I knew that it wouldn't work for me.

I was definitely wrong. It turns out the dress is a bit big when you first put it on. As soon as you take into consideration the boat neck and the belt, the dress fits like a dream. Quite literally, you feel like Cinderella. One of my favorite features, other than the boat neck, which is just darling and very much feels vintage, are the bows on the sleeves.


Aren't they just too cute? I also love that the dress sleeves end at the elbow. And the little key hole in the back of the dress?!? :) The lace is gorgeous, I have no complaints about how the dress is put together (i.e. seams and what not), and the the dress has a huge circle skirt!

I can definitely tell where taller girls my have problems with this dress feeling like it would be something they wore in elementary school. Considering I am short though, this dress ends at my knees making it a great tea dress.

When I put this dress on, I feel like I am wearing a very expensive dress ... something appropriate for attending a wedding or having a date night out. This is not a dress for running around the house in. I can guarantee you that the first time you spill something on it, you will probably cry. It is that kind of a dress. :)

So there you have it. My reviews for my two new favorite dresses. Time to get some sparkly shoes and go out for the night. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...