IWSG 12/7/16

image from FreeRange Photos; photographer: BenjaminMiller2651

At the beginning of every month, as part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, I take a look at my successes (not just in writing), share the ways I hope to improve in the next month, answer the IWSG question of the month, and provide inspiration (if I have any).

November Goals
✓Read a book. (Victoria by Daisy Goodwin, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson)
✓ Family time: Thanksgiving

Make sure I know what I'm doing for Christmas gifts.
Stick to the grocery budget.

Additional Successes –
✓ Bought a writing book and worked through a few prompts including: here and here.
✓ Voted.

✓ Cultural event: Ingrid Michaelson concert.
✓ Blog visitor numbers are ↑.

December Goals –
• Read a book.
• Family time: Christmas, Mom's birthday

• Finish Canada planning.
• Finish D.C. planning.
• Blog ahead.
• Two things on this list.

IWSG Question: In terms of your writing career, where do you see yourself five years from now, and what’s your plan to get there?

I don't have a writing career. :(

All I know to do is to just keep on keeping on.

As I said in my "other successes" section, I bought a Creative Writer's Notebook which features 70 writing exercises that I've begun working my way through. I love the idea of incorporating the exercises into my blog posts – like the idea of mentioning an object and having the object have some sort of "importance" later down in the post. Like, they mention, why would the writer talk about a "rifle", for example, unless it is foreshadowing some event further into the story? And while I've seen that in books and movies, I've never actually incorporated that kind of thought process into my writing. I think it could be fun to try. :)

But at the same time I'm trying to stick to my calendar. Like one post a day every Monday through Thursday, and possibly bringing back Friday posts. When I am on a time limit, it makes it difficult to complete writing tasks and reading goals (or any goals for that matter!).

A few people have commented on past IWSG posts and recommended I find a writing group, but I've been too lazy to do that so far. Or maybe too busy is more accurate?

So where do I see myself in 5 years?

Hopefully much improved. Ideally making money with my writing. Or at the very least, more consistently writing pieces I'm proud of.

IWSG 2016

JanFebMar • Apr • MayJunJulAugSepOctNov

Your Turn

With Christmas just around the corner, are you ready? Are you satisfied with the way 2016 has gone? Were you successful at accomplishing all that you wanted to this year? Have you already begun planning for next year?


Click here to learn more and
link up with IWSG!

* Participating in Susannah Connway's December Reflections: Day 5 – "5 Things About Me"


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...