2016 Recap

As I usually do before the end of the year, I decided to share some of my favorite pictures from this past year and a few of my most notable activities. I began a rehashing of this year back in August, so feel free to backtrack and click here to see what my year looked like from January to August.

September

Animal Kingdom in Orlando, FL (November 2015)

• Went on adventure across the state beginning at Callaway Gardens and ending in Savannah for the holiday weekend and my husband's birthday.
• Began my #4Parks2Days Disney series with Animal Kingdom and had so much fun looking at the beautiful images! :)
• Loved talking about the nuances of languages with my readers when I wrote about words Germans get wrong. :)
Food on my camera roll was a great way to empty my phone and see all of the pretty foodie pictures it had helped me capture during the months of August and September.
My most-viewed blog post from this year actually stemmed from a #TopTenThursday challenge.

October

EPCOT in Orlando, FL (November 2015)
• Started my 101 in 1001 list.
• Continued editing and reviewing my #4Parks2Days series describing in detail what we did at Disney World (1, 2, 3, 4)
• Took a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway…
• And the next weekend went exploring with the in-laws through Waynesville, NC.
• Tried a new restaurant for Halloween (One Midtown in Atlanta, GA).

November

Hohenzollern Castle in Germany (January 2016)
Ingrid Michaelson concert.
• Thanksgiving plans.

December

Palace of Versailles (July 2016)
Christmas Parade.
• saw The Shack movie.
• spent a weekend in Asheville, NC.

Laura Kim Le-Roux did a summarization survey on her blog in 2009 that I found and promptly stole. I figured there was no better way to end the year than with an examination of what went down in my life.

1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before? So many things! Went to Czech Republic, explored new areas of France and Germany, saw the Bastille Day fireworks, argued politics on facebook, attended jury duty.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions and will you make more for next year? I kept the majority of my resolutions from 2015, added more during the year, and definitely intend on making more for next year. (I have to stay on top of my 101 in 1001 list!)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My husband's friend Whitney gave birth and my sister-in-law's sister is due to give birth any day now!
4. Did anyone close to you die? My aunt's father. :(
5. What countries did you visit? Czech Republic, Germany, France
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016? Blog money. More travel. More friends. :)
7. What date, from 2016, will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 11/9, the date America chose Trump.
Also, 7/14, the date of the terrorist attack in Nice, France. Justin and I were in Paris celebrating Bastille Day when we received the call.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Does getting to visit Paris for Bastille Day count as an achievement? Because it totally should!
9. What was your biggest failure? Keeping my mouth shut during political discussion up until the election of Trump. Not researching politics enough to be able to confidently argue my way through a discussion.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? In February, I was so sick that I couldn't sit or stand without vomiting. That was pretty awful. Aside from that, nothing! Thank goodness! :)
11. What was the best thing you bought? Maybe my Creative Writer's Notebook? Or my boots?
I didn't buy this, but I'm pretty proud of the GoPro Hero 5 I received after reviewing the Beta. Can't wait to use it!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My husband's. I mean, yeah I'd always say that, but he took quite a stand for women's rights. He's tirelessly sending messages to our government senators letting them know he doesn't approve of the cabinet members. I love being married to someone who is advocating not only for my rights but for the rights of those less privileged than he and I are. It's quite beautiful. :)
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My family and friends. First in their choice of president-elect, and then how they back him no matter what he does. He said something bad about a person? Who cares? It won't be reflected in his policies … except it seems like it will be. :-/
14. Where did most of your money go? Travel. Food. Student loans.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Going to NYC for July 4th (disappointment), seeing the Bastille Day fireworks for my birthday (better than anticipated!), and booking a flight to Hawaii (for 2017)!
16. What song will always remind you of 2016? Mike Posner "I Took A Pill in Ibiza", because I read a book (Donna Tart's The Goldfinch) where the main character seemed like the guy from the song.
Pink "Just Like Fire". It always makes me happy. :)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? sadder
Thinner or fatter? fatter
Richer or poorer? richer, but not by much
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? paid off more debt.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? spending? … but not on travel. Loved every bit of that that we did. :)
20. How will you be spending Christmas? with family then flying off to Canada.
21. How will you be spending New Year? in Canada.
22. What was your favorite TV program? none. I didn't watch tv.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
umm … sorta.
24. What was the best book you read? The Goldfinch or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?Ingrid Michaelson. I was so-so about her music until my husband and I went to her concert the day after the election, and I felt like I connected with her. From that point forward I began following her on twitter. She's kind of a hippie/love-spreader and just … Yeah, even if I hadn't gotten tickets for free to attend her concert, I feel like now that I know more about her and how relatable she is, I would totally support her and attend her concerts again.
26. What did you want and get? A GoPro Hero 5.
A trip to Paris for Bastille Day and my birthday.
27. What did you want and not get? Lower debt.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Deadpool, Jurassic World 3, The Accountant
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I'm old. :( Basically, I sat at home, blogged, read, and then went out to dinner at my favorite Italian restaurant.
BUT before my birthday we went to France, so I think it's totally ok that I didn't do much on my actual birthday birthday.
30.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?paying off more debt.
Getting the new Chase Reserve credit card.
Selling my Chrysler Sebring.
Not having Trump as my president-elect.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016? Buy as few clothes as possible for as cheap as possible so that i can travel more. :)
32. What kept you sane? the husband.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Justin Trudeau. :) He has remained so positive and uplifting toward the US. I've also enjoyed listening to Steven Colbert and John Oliver who have kept me sane during the election season.
As for celebs? Umm … Joe Jonas? (I know. I can't believe I'm saying it either!) And maybe Charlie Puth.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? the election.
human rights.
35. Who did you miss? a few friends who have decided to not be part of my life.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016. People are stupid.
Travel is worth it.
Debt sucks.
Marry rich. ;)
Oh and when Delta offers you an $800 travel credit for you to stay an extra night in Paris? Take it.
37. Quote that sums up your year. "Great stories happen to those who can tell them." - Ira Glass
How was 2016 for you? Are you ready for 2017?



Best of Worst


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...