Books for Everyone

quote from The Catcher in the Rye

Today's list is all about books, and frankly I'm just not sure I can list books that everyone must read. Over my life, when I have read books, the books that have gotten most of my attention are ones with female protagonists, most likely because I am female myself and can best relate to those types of characters.

One book does stand out above all others though:

The Catcher In the Rye

I can't remember what it was about and, for that reason alone, I know that I should just go pick it up and read it again. All I remember, from watching the Vlog Brothers is that Holden Caulfield told the story of his life as a teenager in a way that I got. The book was replete with run-on sentences and cursing, but I completely understood where Holden Caulfield was coming from. I may not have understood every aspect of the story, but the way it was written was simply fantastic. I highly, highly recommend a read of The Catcher In the Rye even if I don't remember a single thing about it.

Catch Me If You Can

has been on my list of books to read since the movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks came out in 2002. The movie was amazing … and yet the book sits on my shelf just waiting to be picked up. Why haven't I read it? Is there something wrong with the writing? Does it simply not capture my interest? Or am I just too busy to take the time to read it?

The Good German

was another book that I picked up in high school that I still haven't found time to read. I must admit that I picked it up for it's pretty cover. I am certain I will love it when I do find time to read it; I find any books focusing on postwar 1940s murder mysteries to be thrilling and fun pageturners. I know this because of my love of Holly Roth's 1954 The Content Assignment which I found (and read) when going through my grandparent's books years and years ago.

I think I have digressed enough, but there simply aren't too many books I would recommend to a large group of people, let alone everyone. Currently I find myself challenging my skills by attempting to read Der Richter und sein Henker. It's a small novelette written by Friedrich Dürrenmatt from the 1950s that, from my understanding, is frequently read in German schools. I chose the book because of it's small size and, from what I'm assuming, rather limited vocabulary making it easier for a non-German speaker to get through. We'll see. Spending $5 to test my skills and possibly learn a bit more seemed like a good investment even if the book turns out to be awful, which I've heard it is. I am definitely looking forward to the day when I am able to get through the story, comprehending the majority of it enough to throw the book across the room, as many reviewers have claimed to have done. That will definitely be a good day. :)

Do you have books that you would recommend to everyone? Have you read any of the books I've mentioned?

*See other books I have recommended here and here.
** I'm taking part in 30 Days of Lists! Are you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...