Look Up!


On Monday night I went to a talk with Lindsay Adler for the Atlanta Celebrates Photography festival at Creative Circus. During her talk she mentioned how she took her portfolio to a magazine editor while she was in London and came out crying. The editor told her that her work was "not memorable" and that he would forget her the second she walked out the door. He told her that nothing was technically wrong with her work, but that there was nothing that piqued his interest. He wondered why she would even come to a meeting like that with him if she had nothing truly amazing to show him.

Sometimes hearing that we are not exceptional or amazing is exactly what we need in order to grow and improve. The key thing to remember is to not give up. (i.e. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.)

One of the most difficult things I've struggled with in photography is getting my color right. You've heard me say over and over again how every little detail makes a difference… Editing in a room with different lighting, placing an image over a blue background (like on this blog) and even viewing on a computer screen versus viewing a print.

I have tried sooo many things! I have calibrated; I have used a variety of different printers; I have learned to use Photoshop actions; I have played with my cameras color functions in camera. Currently, I am learning to adjust color in Kelvin as well as using the histogram and practicing shooting completely in manual. If I had given up or if I were to give up right now, I wouldn't have learned (or be learning) as much as I have about color.

If Lindsay Adler had not taken that guy's advice she would not be a spokesperson for Sigma lenses, and the teaching she does on Creative Live wouldn't exist.

I don't know if my readers follow or understand "camera talk" but let me just say… "If you cannot find a way out, look up!" Be positive! When things seem to be at their worst, try, try again! Don't believe the people that tell you that you cannot and won't ever be successful. You can do ANYTHING you set your mind up to do.

(And yes, I am one of those millennials who was taught that I am special a'la unicorns barfing rainbows style. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!)

What do you think? Are you a special unicorn barfing rainbow millennial like me who believes anything is possible if you put your mind to it? Have you ever outdone yourself in a surprising and exciting way? Share with me! I want to read some inspirational stories! :)


**This post is part of The Daily October Challenge. Visit Secret Obsession's blog to find out more and join in! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...