The Friday FIve #11: Changing of Seasons


With the start of Autumn last week, in this hemisphere, and Spring about to start in the other –

1. Do you have the urge to do a Fall/Spring cleaning as soon as the weather turns?

This year I've been doing something I'm going to call "continuous cleaning" or perhaps "continuous purging". My husband and I have been really trying to minimize the amount of space we take up within our house and it has taken all of the effort. And time. How far have we gotten? Not very. I mean – I've reduced four closets of clothing to one, so that feels like a success. I've gotten rid of clothes I've had for six years or more that I've needed to get rid of. I've also purged shoes, jewelry, and books. My biggest struggle? Craft supplies. (What if I need them in the future?)

But along with this "purge", we've also gotten replacement items. And items to "fix" things we aren't ready to part with. Like thread for sewing holes, Zout (instead of Shout) for getting stains out of clothing, and replacing old shoes and dresses with different sizes or better looking equivalents that will be more happily and comfortably worn, in the future.

2.What tells you that the season (a certain smell, a certain taste, that sort of thing) has changed?

Shorter days. The smell of bon fires, the taste of s'mores, the sound of the leaves crackling under your feet, apples + cider, pumpkins and cinnamon… the color of the leaves and the fact that they are falling.

So many things make autumn the season it is, but I think it all goes back to the changing and falling of leaves and the shortened days. If only those things changes and nothing else, I would still know it was fall.

3.What do you look forward to the most with the change of seasons?

With regards to fall? Cooler weather. Give me coats and sweaters, please.

When it is changing to summer, I look forward to beach time and longer days. For spring, I like seeing gorgeous flowers and getting tremendous (but not hurricane-like) rain storms, and in winter, I look forward to a continuation of fall + the added hope of snow.

4. What is something that you probably should accomplish but won’t this season?

To absolutely complete the deep cleaning process we began in the spring. To have organized within an inch of my life. I feel great about what I've done, but clearly it is not enough. When the husband still continuously fails to put things away at all, or when he does put them away, he puts them in the wrong place, you know you still have more organizing to do.

I also have to get my financial life in order and I would like to get my body in better shape than it is currently.

5. What is the most enjoyable part of the oncoming season for you?

If I haven't said it enough yet, it's the cooler weather. Summers are just too hot where I live. (But I'm not skilled enough at driving on ice to live where it snows more frequently than once or twice a year.)

Are you happy to move on from summer (or winter, depending)? What are you most looking forward to in the new season?

Join in and share your
answers for The Friday Five!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...