Expeditions Ferry

view from the Expeditions Ferry of Maui Island

One of the biggest surprises I had when planning my trip to Hawai'i regarded transportation. I had booked my flights arriving and leaving from two different islands, so I needed to figure out how to get between islands.

You just take a boat, right?

Only not so much.

I started planning my trip in October 2016 and we didn't leave until February 2017. Over the course of those four months, our transportation options shrunk as we considered where to go. At the end of 2016, the Expeditions Ferry was the only ferry that went between the islands and it only went between Maui and Lāna‘i and Lāna‘i and Moloka'i. Well, as luck would have it, they ended the transportation between Lāna‘i and Moloka'i as I was in the process of booking. My options were to either give up Moloka'i altogether or find another way to the island. I wasn't too certain about visiting Lāna‘i, but onward we went. A boat ride was definitely on my bucketlist! My hope was to see whales as we moved between islands. (We ended up booking a flight between Lāna‘i and Moloka'i and between Moloka'i and O'ahu, but that will be saved for another blog post.)

Expeditions Ferry tickets

view from the Expeditions Ferry of Maui

view from the Expeditions Ferry of Maui

view from the Expeditions Ferry

view from the Expeditions Ferry of Maui and a cruise ship

view from the Expeditions Ferry of Maui and a cruise ship

view from the Expeditions Ferry of Lana'i

view from the Expeditions Ferry of Lana'i

view from the Expeditions Ferry of Lana'i

If you are considering taking the Expeditios Ferry between Maui and Lāna‘i, here's what you need to know:

+ The current cost is $30 for adults, $20 for children.
+ The ferry leaves from Lahaina four times a day beginning at 6:45am with the last departure at 5:45pm.
+ They ask that you arrive an hour prior to departure, but we arrived only about 15 minutes prior to boarding and were still allowed on. If you are running late, call to confirm that the late arrival will be ok. Don't take my word!
+ It takes the ferry approximately 45 minutes to get across to Lāna‘i Island.
+ Depending on the day and weather conditions, the ocean can be a bit choppy and cause motion sickness. If you get sick easily, you may want to consider taking Dramamine prior to your ferry ride.
+ Dolphins and whales can be seen during the winter months!
+ There is no food or drink available for purchase on the boat, so be sure to bring your own!
+ The return ferry leaves from Lāna‘i five times a day beginning at 8am with the last departure at 6:45pm.

Most importantly! While you can use this post to help plan your trip, be sure to check the Expeditions Ferry website for the most current and up to date information. Call if you have any questions. The people that work for Expeditions Ferry are kind and will help you in any way if they can.

What do you think of those views from the boat? Would a boat trip be a must for you if you visit Hawai'i?

––––––––––––––––––––––

It's day twelve in the A-Z blog challenge! This month I'll be sharing all about my five year anniversary in Hawai'i – providing insight into the places I went, reviewing the hotels I stayed at, and telling my story. Today's letter was K for the kickass views we saw our last day on Maui Island and during our boat ride to Lāna‘i! (See part 1 here.)




ABCD • E (pt 1, 2, 3) FGHIJ


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...