I'm reading…


Shortly before Justin and I boarded our train taking us from Guingamp, France to Versailles, I realized that I was within one hundred pages of finishing The Goldfinch. What would I read next? So, as I did when deciding on The Goldfinch, I read reviews from three different books and tried to decide which book would be the least depressing among those and come at the cheapest price. I asked my husband for advice and, out of the three, this was the one he chose.

"How coincidental?!" I remember thinking. "He chose a book about trains on the day that we are on a train…"

Turns out it didn't matter. I slept for almost the entire 3 hours we were on the train. I was hopeful that I would have limitless energy by the time we arrived to Versailles.

Anyway, I'm only on page 35 of The Girl on the Train. So far the book has changed perspectives between the two main characters a few times leaving me feeling lost and confused. I know what is suppose to be happening, but I have no idea what is actually happening.

It probably doesn't help that I'm reading three or four other books for reviewing purposes and I have at least two books on my nightstand that I decided to read for fun and never managed to finish. Anyone else struggle to complete books?

"Megan is still missing, and I have lied––repeatedly––to the police.

I was in a panic by the time I got back to the flat last night. I tried to convince myself that they'd come to see me about my accident with the taxi, but that didn't make sense. I'd spoken to police at the scene––it was clearly my fault. It had to be something to do with Saturday night. I must have done something. I must have committed some terrible act and blacked out.

I know it sounds unlikely. What could I have done? Gone to Blenheim Road, attacked Megan Hipwell, disposed of her body somewhere and then forgotten all about it? It sounds ridiculous. It is ridiculous. But I know something happened on Saturday. I knew it when I looked into that dark tunnel under the railway line, my blood turning to ice water in my veins.

Blackouts happen, and it isn't just a matter of being a bit hazy about getting home from the club or forgetting what it was that was so funny when you were chatting in the pub. It's different. Total black; hours lost, never to be retrieved."

The Girl on the Train tells the story of a woman who commutes daily to London looking out the window comparing the lives of her ex and his new wife with a fairytale couple who live just down the street. When the fairytale wife disappears, the woman on the train is brought into the police investigation. Does she remember what happened? Can she help the police figure out how Megan was killed?

And just for fun, here's the trailer for the movie which is set to come out on October 7, 2016:


Does The Girl on a Train sound like a book or movie that would intrigue you? Have you ever been in a similar situation where you were being asked to remember something that you just didn't?

Buy The Girl on the Train here.

* I'm participating in Susannah Conway's August Break. Today's post was written in response to "I'm reading" (day 6). :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...