20 Tunes For Thursday

The following are a few songs that seem to encompass my whole life… Take a look and enjoy the youtube music videos. Maybe you'll discover a new favorite! :)

1. A song from your childhood

George Straight – "Check Yes Or No"

You know you are from the South when your first music memories are of country music. :) A lot has changed since I was in elementary school and I'm pretty sure most kids now listen to something between pop and rap. Nevertheless, that wasn't my childhood.

This song is super sweet and pretty adorable. I always imagined that I'd find my "true love" in elementary school … and so many years later, I have discovered that I did! Justin and I had the same 4th and 5th grade teachers! It's funny thinking back to that time in our life and seeing how much has changed and how much we have grown since then.

2. A song that reminds you of your most recent ex-boyfriend/girlfriend

Steven Curtis Chapman – "I Will Be Here"

I've only ever dated one person in my entire life – my husband. This isn't "our song", but it is the song we picked for our wedding. Sorry I didn't pick something more dramatic! No Taylor Swift for me! :)

3. A song that reminds you of one or both of your parents

There is not just one song that reminds me of my dad. It's like all 70s. Any 70s.

Tony & Dawn Orlando - "Knock 3 Times"

This song, on the other hand, is a song my mom would go around the house singing quite often when I was young. She also would play old records (especially at Christmas time while making cookies) and use the expression "It's raining cats and dogs outside!"

And because I can't move on without mentioning it, I have a song that reminds me of my grandparents:

Barry Manilow - "Mandy"

Aside from Enya and classical music, this is the song that stands out most. My mom's mother gave me my nickname from the first time she saw me in the hospital. I have no idea if it was in relation to this song. All I do know is that I first heard "Mandy" at their house when I was growing up.

I've only had two people in my entire life sing this to me upon meeting. :) And they were both pretty young to have even been aware of this song's existence!

4. A song that calms you down

George Gershwin – "Rhapsody In Blue"

I first heard this song when I went to see Disney's Fantasia 2000 and I fell in love with the cartoon associated with it. I'm not sure it really calms me down, but I definitely pay attention when I hear it in a store or in a commercial. I've listened to it so much that I can recognize and think to myself "They're playing Rhapsody in Blue!!" It makes me happy.

5. A song that is often stuck in your head

Meghan Trainor - "All About That Base"

Obviously, the answer to this question changes quite frequently. This is the current one. In the past it's been Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off", Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe", and "Gangnam Style" by Psy among others… Seriously. It changes almost daily.

6. A song that reminds you of one of your friends


During Christmas of 2003, my friend and I were in chorus together. As a class shortly before Christmas we all went caroling together. I drove to my friends house and we rode together to the school … sang Christmas carols, drank hot chocolate, and we were all around in a good mood. As we left the school this song came on in her car and she turned it up really loud and sang along dancing the whole way home. I just sat in the passenger seat laughing. Some people.

7. A song that reminds you of this past summer

Pharrel – "Happy"

I took some of my favorite teenagers bowling last year. They were fighting and not getting along, and I was slowly losing my cool. Then this song came on and some of the girls started jumping around, dancing, and singing. You have no idea how relieved I was! This song definitely made me happy. :)

8. A song that reminds you of your first love

Matchbox 20 – "Unwell"

Remember how I said Justin was my first and only love? It probably could have ended badly for us. As I tried to determine what "our song" was, I kept hearing this song. Seriously. Every single time I saw Justin. This is so not what you want your song to be. It was that or "Sweet Home Alabama", which I suppose would have been a much better choice. ;)

9. A song on the soundtrack of your favorite movie

Blue Swede – "Hooked On A Feeling"

My favorite movies change as often as songs that are stuck in my head – by which I mean often! One of the best movies I've seen in a very long time is Guardians of the Galaxy in so much as it made a lasting impression and I would definitely enjoy watching it again if given the chance. All of the songs on the soundtrack were fun and I don't technically have a favorite. I really only picked "Hooked On A Feeling" because it was used so often in the trailers and it is the first in this youtube video, one I've watched fairly often over the past few months just to hear the awesome music. :)

10. The last song you heard

Raspberries – "Go all the Way"

Yeah. I'm listening to the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack. Sorry to disappoint!

11. A song that reminds you of a former friend

Michael W. Smith – "Freedom"

I received this album by Michael W. Smith from one of my former friends when I graduated high school. It was suppose to be an indication of what life would be like after high school – freedom! The song itself is quite lovely.

12. A song that reminds you of your boyfriend/girlfriend

Lynrd Skynrd – "Sweet Home Alabama"

Technically this song reminds me of every summer in Georgia. (Is it suppose to remind me of Alabama?) Luckily, I've gotten to spend more than 10 years of summers with Justin, my husband. Does that make this song work? (Sorry, it just seemed a tad more fun than "our song".)

13. A song that you love singing along to

Don McClean – "American Pie"

Truthfully I think the answer to this is "Sweet Home Alabama" or any song stuck in my head, but "American Pie" is pretty fun too…

14. A song that has made you cry

Pearl Jam – "The Last Kiss"

I don't cry when I listen to songs, but this one is just depressing…

15. A song that makes you want to dance

Walk the Moon – "Shut Up & Dance"

It's so upbeat! And happy! :)

16. A song that you love that you rarely listen to

Bobby Darin – "Beyond the Sea"

This song, if I don't think about Finding Nemo, reminds me of the summer after my senior year of high school when we would sit by the docks of a local lake and just enjoy the peacefulness of the world. It always makes me happy. :)

17. The first song on your iTunes

Michael Bublé – "After All"

After I lost all of my music in the great computer crash of 2012, I only have music on my computer that I have been given to review. :-/ I'm not sure that was suppose to be the goal of this question… I mostly listen to Pandora or Amazon Prime Music. *shrugs*

18. The last song on your iTunes

Michael Bublé – "Young At Heart"

I promise that I have more than Michael Bublé in my list even if all of my music was for reviews! What happened to Madonna? Or Train?

19. A song that someone has sung to you

Barry Manilow – "Mandy"

It always makes me laugh … and I frequently wonder how people know this song… 

20. A song that you cannot stand to listen to

Katy Perry – "Roar"

I'll listen to it, but I can't stand it…

So how would you answer these questions? Are you familiar with any of the ones on my list? Any new favorites? Or old ones you've forgotten about?

* List of songs from Beefy House O' Fun

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...