Questions That Will Free Your Mind Pt. 2

Long story short, I get distracted really easily.

I start cleaning the bathroom, and then I realize I need to clean the kitchen…which leads to the living room and then the bedroom. Eventually I will make my way around the house until things are put away and all of the chores are accomplished, but it may take a while.

The same is true for writing. If I have music playing or the tv on while I am writing, I can get distracted sooooo easily. At one point, I had to decide that if I was doing something important or even just talking with a friend online or on the phone, the tv had to be turned off and the music turned wayyyyyy down. I grew up in the generation that could re-watch whatever I missed on television, so it made it easier to keep my priorities straight. Friends came first. Always.

This doesn't really have much to do with anything except that the word of the day is noise. I associate noise with distraction. And I cannot have any distractions while answering the next set of questions that will supposedly free my mind.

11. You're having lunch with 3 people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do?

First of all, this would never happen to me. What is there that my friends have to criticize one another about? And which of my friends doesn't know that I am friends with this other person? If they do know I am friends with the other person, why are they criticizing said person? I actually think this question is more appropriate for high schoolers.

If I were in high school and having this problem, I probably would not respect or admire any of my peers. What have they done that is noteworthy or even worthy of praise that is so far above the rest?

Or maybe the problem is that I am looking back and seeing that none of my peers deserved to be admired? The super smart ones that were suppose to accomplish everything and take over the world…haven't yet. And the others? I suppose some have surprised me but most have not. Maybe in a few years there will be some admiration and respect going on. Until that point, I just don't think I can honestly answer this question.

(This is a bit depressing.)

12. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?

I think Humans of New York does a pretty good job of answering this question.

Nevertheless, after I get over the fact that I am handing out advice to someone that doesn't understand a word I am saying, I would most likely tell the baby that no one can read anyone else's mind.

That is what we teach 2 year olds, right? "Use your words." Instead, they cry.

How can you expect anyone to give you the response you want if you don't at least tell them what it is you want? No, they aren't always going to give you what you want, but the likeliness of you getting what you want is much higher if the other person knows what you want.

Now, to take my own advice… ;)

13. Would you break the law to save a loved one?

To save a loved one from what? I think that's pretty important. Am I saving their life? their dignity? And what law am I breaking?

Yes, I would speed, but I wouldn't go so fast that I became uncomfortable driving. I would drive through a red light, so long as no one was there for me to run into. I would rob a store, but not a bank unless I could pull off counterfeit money. I would *think* about shooting someone if I needed to defend a loved one, but I'm not sure I could pull it off and my aim would be pretty awful.

I guess what I am saying is that my loved ones better not need me to break the law for them or they will be in trouble. Being willing and being capable are two different things. I'm willing, but I'm not sure I am capable.

14. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?

WHAT?!

Maybe Jackson Pollock?

Actually hasn't everyone who has ever mastered anything (art, math, science) been considered crazy at some point?

15. What's something you know you do differently than most people?

Vacations. Or at least I do them differently than Justin did before I met him. I like doing EVERYTHING as quickly as possible. I can never do as much as I want. I always come home needing a vacation from my vacation…and exhausted. I think a lot of people go on vacation to relax. I think they are weird. ;)

16. How come the things that make you happy don't make everyone happy?

I think it all comes down to different experiences and preferences. We are all unique. Life would be boring and we'd never learn anything new if everyone was made happy by the same things.

17. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What's holding you back?

There is a lof on my bucket list, but going to Europe is one thing that gets ticked off this year. Wahoo! Perhaps it is the places I will see that we haven't yet decided on…Or maybe it's the adrenaline of getting on an airplane and traveling overseas, which I never actually thought I would do, that has me excited. Of course, as mentioned yesterday, it could be the chance to spend time with some wonderful people…

That thing that held me back? It was probably my parents' ideas about money. Growing up my parents lived paycheck to paycheck making me feel that leaving the country was a bit of a pipe dream…like winning the lottery.

When I invited some German friends to my wedding, I never expected them to actually come. It wasn't that I didn't want them there, but I didn't have high expectations. I think their decision to come was a bit of a turning point for me and my ideas about traveling overseas.

Following our wedding, Justin and I knew we needed to plan a trip to Europe, but there was little reason to rush the process until our friends became engaged. All of a sudden, planning and saving was kicked into high gear. We hadn't officially been invited to the wedding, but we knew, if they showed even the tiniest bit of interest in having us there, it had to happen. (That's what you do for friends.) We had no good excuse as to why we couldn't go.

I think the main thing I learned from this experience is that if you want something badly enough, you can make it happen. I didn't want to go to Europe badly enough…until I did. It had to be the right time and the right set of circumstances for me to break free of my background and attempt, what I thought to be, the impossible.

18. Are you holding onto something that you need to let go of?

It's hard to hold onto something and type at the same time. ;)

But no, there is nothing that comes to mind right now. The last answer was exhausting and I think it covers something holding me back thoroughly enough to also indicate that which I am holding onto and need to let go of.

19. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?

Could I not wait to be asked this until after I get back from Europe?!?!

I've heard Germany is awesome but they speak German and drive manual cars, both of which might be a setback for me. People in England drive on the wrong side of the road, but at least they speak English. Australia is expensive. Italy is gorgeous (I imagine), but I don't speak Italian. Maybe I'd move to New Zealand. After all, Canada is too cold.

Oh and a different state? South Carolina or California. I've never been to California, but other than the cost of living, I've heard the weather is phenomenal. I can't even imagine not living within driving distance of the coast.

20. Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator come faster?

Yes and no. Sometimes I wonder if the system "saw" my button push. I do get pretty impatient though.


If you are interested in joining in and answering the 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind, feel free to leave a link in the comments. I'd love to see how others are answering these questions even though I have yet to experience a truly free mind! You can see my first set of answers here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...