Travel ABCs

After spending all of April going through the ABCs, I thought it could be fun to answer these questions…

I live in Atlanta! – Of course my first flight would be Delta! (Source)

A.. Age you went on your first international trip?
28 - My husband and I flew into Paris, met some friends in Germany, drove to Italy, explored the coast, and finished with a drive up through south France ending back in Paris.

B.. Best Beer you’ve had and where
I don't drink beer, so I'm not sure if this counts, but … Framboise in Decatur, GA. I think it was during a craft beer festival. If you don't like beer, try this. It is delicious! :)

C.. favorite Cuisine.
Can I say all? Actually, that's not true. There are a bunch I don't like or refuse to eat. Perhaps my newest favorite is French: Cheese, wine, and bread make me very happy. :)

D.. Destination - favorite, least favorite and why?
• Favorite: I think I'm a city girl. I love Paris and New York City! Although there is something special about the beach as well… Charleston, South Carolina holds a special place in my heart. And Marseille, France was simply gorgeous.

• Least Favorite: Cinque Terre, Italy was pretty confusing. It was beautiful, but it seemed to be more homes than shops. Maybe we did it wrong?

I also found Venice to be confusing. While I was there I tried to imagine what it would be like to go for a job interview: Would you walk? Or take a boat? How do you know which walkways are named what? And how do you give directions? "Go past the pink house and take a right down the bridge. There will be a boat on your left and we are in the yellow building with the laundry hanging out front." huh?!?!

Of course nothing tops Panama City Beach, Florida. The sand was so thick! And the gift shops? I definitely had my fill of seeing bikini-clad women on postcards. We won't even talk about all of the motorcycles and BIG trucks. Oh - and American beer. Yuck.

E.. Event you've experienced that made you say "wow".
Not so much an event, but after I carried my huge DSLR camera (with battery pack) on my shoulder up the 600 steps of Sacré Coeur, I was asked to hold a friend's camera. O.M.G. I thought I was going to drop it, it was soooo light! I went from holding like 5 pounds to a few ounces maybe? Yeah… I have since considered downgrading… ;)

F.. Favorite mode of transportation?
Car. I don't like how long it takes or the gas used, but I think it's fun being able to stop randomly and take pictures or explore small towns. I also like walking and exploring a city, if I have the time. The metro is fantastic for people watching and flights are perfect for traveling with limited time.

G.. Greatest feeling while traveling?
When the plane takes off as you are heading somewhere. Just the realization that "OMG! This is actually happening!"

Home sweet beach in Charleston, SC… (source)

H.. (Second) Home.
Anywhere my husband is. Or at least that's the sweetest answer. :) Outside of Decatur (GA), Charleston (SC) is my ideal (vacation) place to live. I love the combination of city and beach.

I.. Incredible service you’ve experienced and where?
I've experienced a lot of good service while traveling and very little bad service. I was most surprised at how pleasant the people in France (specifically Paris) were. Before my trip, I had heard about how they hated Americans, so I was quite pleased to not run into or experience any of that myself.

J.. Journey that took the longest?
The drive from Boston to Atlanta. It was a horrible 24 hour experience. From now on, I'm flying.

K.. Keepsake from your travels?
I don't really collect anything. At one point I collected postcards, but then I realized that my photographs were just the same, so I quit spending the money. I like buying random things I can incorporate into my everyday life. Jewelry and clothing are great. Bringing food back is the best! Especially Italian olive oil and balsamic vinegar as well as French wine! Yum! :)

L.. Let-down sight, where and why?
It wasn't a sight, but rather it was food – Italian pizza. Sooo depressing. Do I really like Justin-style pizza (American pretending to be Italian?) better than Italian-style?

Gelato wasn't much better. I had such high hopes…

M.. Moment where you fell in love with traveling?
No idea. I've always loved it. I can remember being in middle school and planning family trips. Perhaps it was after I visited Disney World for the first time. We had been to the beach before and it was eh, but Disney World was thrilling. I couldn't go to sleep the night before we left; I was so excited! And since I was only 6 years old. I have no idea how my parents put up with me during the 7 hour car ride the next day. But anyway, when we got back, I was already planning our next trip…

Not my picture, but still beautiful… in Marseille, France.

N.. Nicest view, where?
Marseille. Oh, the water! But my favorite pictures are from Cinque Terre and Paris.

O.. (What are you) Obsessed with taking pictures of while traveling?
Sunsets, sunrises, landscapes, flowers, and to a much smaller degree: food.

P.. Passport stamps- how many and where?
one. Does that disqualify me from this survey? ;) It's from France.

Q.. Quirkiest Attraction
When Justin and I were in Asheville, NC a few weekends ago, I saw this weird bus/bicycle tour where people peddle through the city and drink beer. It was the weirdest and funniest thing I have ever seen!

R.. Really Frightening: where’s one place you’ve visited where you felt unsafe or uneasy?
Our first day in Paris, we had just received our rented Peugeot. They had told us we needed to return it clean, so that was on my mind… Anyway, we found ourselves stuck at a light and some guy trying to make money (and all of his friends) were walking around squirting windshields with soap and rinsing them. When he got to our car, I froze as he banged on my window (the passenger side) trying to get my attention. And, of course, when I wouldn't give it to him, he squirted soap on the car. Argh! It made me so mad! I was really happy when the light finally turned. I just knew these guys were going to somehow damage the car… My lack of French probably didn't help the situation.

S.. Splurge-something you have no problem spending money on while traveling?
Everything to a small degree. Mostly views at sunset. This is followed up by delicious food (that Justin and I, for the most part, share) and moderately priced hotels. I would definitely stay at an Airbnb over a hotel any day though.

I just love this view of Paris, France… (source)

T.. Touristy thing you've done?
Climbed the Eiffel Tower.

Never again.

U.. Unforgettable travel memory?
Traveling with friends?

V.. Visas-how many and for where?
none.

W.. Wine - best while travelling ?
Wine is disgusting while flying in an airplane. It is rather enjoyable though when sitting with friends, talking, and watching the sun set. (Why can't we do that here in America?!?!)

X.. eXcellent view and from where?
I frequently go out of my way to find pretty views. I research them before traveling. Because my husband and I have seen pretty views almost everywhere we've been, I decided to get his perspective on the prettiest view. He came to the same conclusion. ha. Anyway, he told me to list the rooftop bar in Charleston as the "it" view merely because it was our first experience seeking out a beautiful spot. That works for me! If you ever find yourself in Charleston before sunset, I recommend staking out a spot at the back of the Market Pavillon Bar on top of the Market Pavillon Hotel. You won't regret it! (Unless the sunset is ugly… or it's rainy.)

Y.. Yachting?:
How about house-boating? Is that close to the same thing? ;)

Z.. Time-Zones visited?
EST, CST, CET

So, thoughts? Will you fill out this questionnaire as well? I'd love to read your ABC's of travel!


2 comments:

  1. OK, hold on a minute, you CLIMBED the Eiffel Tower? Are you serious? 😳

    Why can't you sit with friends, talk, sip wine 🍷 and watch the sunset 🌅 - Because the waiter will bring the check for *whenever you're ready*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Like I said, never again! :)

      We did do that occasionally. Not in a restaurant, mind you, but we did do it. I love France (Europe?), because you can take your wine absolutely anywhere without a problem. In the US, you have to be on your own property, in a restaurant, or at an event where they have received permission to sell alcohol. That makes it much harder to sit with friends, talk, sip wine, and watch the sunset. :-/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...