Movie Night!!

Things necessary for staying in on a Friday night…

• an awesome husband
• freshly popped, homemade popcorn
• a good movie
• and a blanket.

But sometimes it's nice to go out to the theatre, especially when you don't have to pay… I had the luxury of having a few jobs this summer pay me to go to the movies. (Best jobs ever, amiright?!) I only went a few times, but I thought I would review the movies I saw, so you would know what to see … as well as what not to see.


I started off the summer well with a viewing of Edge of Tomorrow. Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise take action movies to an entirely new level in this film. I'm not a big blood and guts kind of person; the truth is they make me sick. I knew before even walking into the theatre that seeing this movie, for me, was probably not the best of ideas. On top of that little issue of mine, I was also completely convinced that a character dying every. single. day. would get boring and monotonous. I was wrong. On both counts. The director, editors, and creators of this movie did a fantastic job moving the story along, not allowing it to get stuck at any single point despite the heavy repetition, all the while keeping me entranced – eyes glued to the screen. Even Justin, who watched the movie much later while distracted, couldn't keep his eyes off of it either. The movie just draws you in. Not many movies do that for me any more, so I was really surprised that this movie could have that kind of hold on me.

With 8/10 on IMDB and 90% on Rotten Tomatoes and my approval (the most important of any!), I highly recommend seeing this film. It's definitely one of the best that this summer has produced.


While not at the top of my list of must-see movies, Chef was a fun story even if it lacked in plot. Basically, a chef (duh) loses his job when he refuses to cook the same outdated unadventurous food his boss insists on, that has always been on the menu at a local restaurant, for a food critic. Rather than lose status as "artist", he takes to the road in a food truck with his best friend exploring the states, learning to make new foods, teaching his son all about cooking, and becoming an entrepreneur. Like I said, the story is fun and engaging, but don't expect a deep plot. At the very least there are some fabulous actors and actresses thrown into the movie – like Dustin Hoffman, Scarlett Johansson, and Robert Downey Jr. – that make it worth at least one viewing.

This movie is rated 7.4/10 on IMDB and 88% on Rotten Tomatoes.


Blended. Drew Barrymore. Adam Sandler. You've seen it before, you'll probably see it again. Redundant, expected, usual … and heartwarming. As only these two actors can be.

Rated 6.5/10 on IMDB and 14% on Rotten Tomatoes.


How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a kid friendly animated adventure that only really excites kids and whose trailer, even, bores me just a little. If you see this movie, expect to see a stupid main character do stupid things in an effort to save dragons, meet his mother, and keep his girlfriend (while she stupidly follows along encouraging him). Great family movie, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it as an adult.

The masses seem to disagree with me giving the movie an 8.2/10 on IMDB and 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. (It would seem you will have to decide for yourself whether or not this movie is worth a viewing.)


To be honest, I did not want to see Guardians of the Galaxy. A talking raccoon? A talking tree? I'll watch sci-fi, but I am not a sci-fi girl. To my surprise, this movie was fun! The music, the super heroes, the comedy, the adventure… I loved it! And the best part: only a few weeks later the kids I watch are obsessed with the soundtrack. More specifically, I have heard the two teenage boys I watch crooning away to Michael Jackson's "I Want You Back". There is nothing quite like hearing that; it made my day. haha. :)

Even if we never have another Spider Man, Batman, or even The Incredibles, I am definitely looking forward to the release of Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I only hope that they can do even half as good as they did with the first.

This movie has received 8.6/10 on IMDB and 92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

What movies have you seen recently? Are there any really good ones that you would recommend for a movie night in? … or out?

* I'm taking part in 30 Days of Lists! Are you?
** Psst! You can go here to listen to the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack on youtube! … Or buy the soundtrack on Amazon! You know you want to! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...