Catch Up + NYC Travel Thoughts

First of all, I must tell you if are even remotely interested in seeing The Big Wedding, don't. With such big names as Susan Sarandon, Robert De Niro, Diane Keaton, Robin Williams, Katherine Heigl, Topher Grace, and Amanda Seyfriend, I thought it would be awesome. Go see The Guilt Trip instead (which I also recently saw). It was much more enjoyable. (How did they get such an awesome cast for such a poorly done movie?!)

And while we are talking about fun things to watch, let me just give kudos to the writers of How I Met Your Mother for including one of my (current) favorite songs "Simple Song" by the Shins before introducing the mother (who seems to be an awesome actress). If anything got me excited about season 9 (or at least that particular episode of season 8), it was that!

Anyway, I didn't take the chance yesterday to say that I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend with your mother(s). With our guests coming in Friday afternoon and leaving on Sunday, Justin and I were unsure as to whether or not we would be seeing our moms. Justin's family had a get together which was nice, so we knew we would be attending that if given the chance. Afterwards, we were able to go and surprise my mom with cake and flowers. I also got to spend some time with my brother who is home from college for the summer.

After talking with Justin's dad on Sunday regarding our trip to NYC/Boston this upcoming summer, I decided that I really needed to start researching more for that trip. I've got the German practicing thing down for the trip to Germany (not that it's helping), but I haven't really thought about NYC. Both my in-laws as well as Justin and myself don't have a lot of money to spend on this trip, so it's been something I've been putting off researching. I'm really not sure Justin's parents will want to do what I want to do (i.e. shopping at Anthropologie and on Times Square, seeing lots of art and going to museums, wandering Central Park, finding an awesome coffee shop and people watching, etc. . .).

Last night Justin told me to just come up with a list of things I want to do. One of the first things on my list became The Rain Room when I saw a post about it on Apartment Therapy. Upon further examination, I realized that not only was The Rain Room being exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, but that they were also exhibiting Claes Oldenburg's work as well during the exact time frame when we would be in NYC!! Talk about exciting! The only thing that would make it any better is if we were going in June instead of July. (They have Henri Cartier-Bresson at the museum right now, but it will be gone by July.)

Other things on my list include seeing Jane's Carousel (Remember this image from Hurricane Sandy?), going to an off broadway show, and seeing the Statue of Liberty. Justin's dad is interested in the food. He kept going on and on about some sort of coffee flavoring (??), moxie soda, hot dogs (Ick!), some weird Chinese noodle, and seafood. :( I'd love to say I know something about Boston, but I really don't. I guess some things we will just have to decide when we get there.

The nice thing is that we will be staying with Justin's aunt and cooking the majority of our meals in her home. I'm always shocked at how much you save on those two expenses alone -- a room and food!

I always end with a question, but I would love to know others' suggestions for our NYC travel? We need suggestions for food and places to visit. I've been looking here and here for getting broadway tickets for cheaper, and I've also (as of today) considered getting an entertainment book for $11 (today only) or sharing information about the CityPass with Justin's parents. So what do you think? How can we best save money and have an enjoyable time in NYC? What are some awesome broadways shows that we should go see?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...