IWSG #5


At the beginning of every month, as part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, I take a look at my successes (not just in writing), share the ways I hope to improve in the next month, answer the IWSG question of the month, and provide inspiration (if I have any).

May Goals –
✓ read 2 books. (I'm so behind on this yearly goal!)
✗ put together my resumé and look for jobs.
✓ Continue to stay involved in politics.
✓ Also, keep working on my 101 in 1001 list.
✓ Stay positive. :)

Additional Successes –
✓ Continuing to grow Twitter #s.

✓ Spent time with family.

June Goals –
• Stick to budget

• Read a book.

IWSG Question: Did you ever say 'I quit'? If so, what happened to make you come back to writing?

In college, I remember being told I couldn't make money as a writer, so I turned to art. My second cousin is a graphic designer, so I had hope that maybe she would take me under her wing.

But, ultimately, no such luck.

Instead, I found myself fighting with my counselors and advisors trying to get me into a position where, when I left school, I would have the knowledge to get a job.

I had exactly one teacher on my side by the time I graduated. They were more than happy to pass me in my classes, but somehow they didn't believe I had the skills to deserve references?

And then I fought my way through internships, working for people who claimed I had "skill" but refused to pay me. Then, when I used the law to explain why I deserved payment, they turned their back on me.

So, along with freelance jobs that have nothing to do with anything I majored in, I blog. It's a way to continue developing my skills even if I can't have the career of my dreams.

Your Turn

What have been some of the most difficult challenges you've faced regarding your career? 

Click here to learn more and
link up with IWSG!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...