Hilton Myrtle Beach Resort


Destination: Myrtle Beach, SC
Date: August 2016
Hotel: Hilton
Brand: Hilton
Elite Status: diamond
# of travelers: 4
nights: 2

Making the Decision

In the midst of planning a return trip to France this past summer, my in-laws informed me that my husband's cousins would be making a trip down from their home up north to the delightful beach town of Myrtle Beach, SC. At about this same time, Hilton was running a promotion for their hotels; with my newly acquired Hilton status, I decided there was no better place for us to stay. Plus, the hotel was on the beach, and who doesn't like waking up to the sound of ocean waves?

There were a few kinks to my plan, however. Like the fact that my husband's cousins weren't actually staying in the Myrtle Beach area, proper. However by the time I came to this realization, our hotel had already been booked for nearly two months, and I decided not to bother looking for somewhere closer.

Getting There, Checking-In

I had to work the Friday before we were set to be in South Carolina, so we ended up driving late on Friday and not arriving to the hotel until midnight. Staff checked us in and informed us we had been upgraded to a room on a higher floor with a partial view of the ocean. They gave us two free waters, a parking pass, and coupons for us and Justin's parents to have free breakfast the next morning.



empty atrium/lobby

Lobby

It took a few minutes for the elevator to come, so I took in the hotel lobby as we waited. The room was large and expansive with a gift shop and bakery/cafe just inside the huge atrium. There was plenty of seating for those waiting on friends or family (not that many people were taking advantage of it so late at night). The hotel actually seemed rather quiet and almost eerie given the lack of people out roaming the hotel so late at night. (Ever seen those empty dilapidated mall images? It kind of felt like that looks.) Clearly this was a lobby meant for the masses. And, as expected, in the morning, it didn't quite seem as eerie as it had just the night before.




Room, View

Our hotel room, aside from being dark, was a refreshing sight so late at night, when we arrived. Of course, I did my blogging duty of capturing images of the room before crawling into bed, but I didn't nearly feel as enthralled with my upgraded room with a partial ocean view until the next morning. As crazy as it sounds, it's difficult to see much ocean at midnight! We had to rely on the sound to reassure that the ocean was, in fact, there at all. (And even that was confused by the hotel AC unit!) One thing I did notice though was our balcony. For a moment, until I remembered I was tired, I almost wanted to sit out on the balcony all night and just listen to the waves. (Then I came to grips with reality!)


Even though the hotel room felt lavish and large, I was happy to note that the bathroom was also a decent size. The actual WC was rather small and would only allow for one person to get ready at a time, but just outside the WC was a closet, table, and mirror, perfect for a second person to get ready! (You just have to wait to brush your teeth!)

The hotel room came with a Keurig coffee machine, microwave, safe, fridge, and hair dryer. There were also soaps and shampoos for your convenience.



Buffet Breakfast

We awoke early Saturday morning to go down to the second floor and redeem our breakfast buffet coupons. It ended up being good that we awoke so early, because the restaurant was filled quickly with a line forming just as we were finishing. While I can't comment on the price, I can say that the buffet was filled to the brim with wonderful foods to choose from. We enjoyed choices of eggs, sausage, grits, bacon, yogurt, granola, cereal options, juices (orange and apple), coffee, and milk. Staff brought drink refills, but were mostly distracted cleaning tables, refilling the buffet, and seating guests. If you get the right waitress, however, they will offer to bring to-go cups which is a nice touch. :) We got one such waitress our first morning at the hotel.




Pool & Other Amenities

If you don't receive coupons for the free breakfast, you might consider visiting the small bakery/cafe in the hotel lobby. They serve your choice of Starbucks coffee, juices, a variety of pastries, and ice cream.There is also a second restaurant outside near the pool as well as a hotel bar.

Justin, his parents and I did visit the hotel pool bar before heading home on Sunday. The three of them enjoyed a plate of fried oysters while I ordered a frozen daiquiri. It was a nice place to relax and enjoy the sound of the ocean and watch the various pool goers. Even though I did not help with the food, I have it under good authority, that it was a tasty and enjoyable snack. :)

The Hilton Myrtle Beach offers two pools for guests, one which features soft sand and rocks at the bottom with a lovely waterfall and garden area. The second pool is more traditional and better for doing laps and kids splashing around.

And, of course, don't forget the ocean which is only a hop, jump, and skip away.

If you are always like me, forgetting your swim suit, or, by chance, in need of a sundress or a pool float, be sure to check out the two hotel gift shops that will provide you with the rare item you may have forgotten or not realized that you needed. They don't have everything, but, if you are need of something particular, they do offer quite a bit.This is a resort after all! :)



Check Out

When we went to check out of the hotel, I found myself shocked at the price the hotel was charging us. Was there a mistake? I pulled up my confirmation email to show to the front desk who informed that because we had received an upgrade, we were being charged for it. Luckily, without my complaining, she offered to take the extra charge off our hotel bill on the spot. Yes, they do have an upcharge if you request an upgrade through their website (as in when you check out), but the chain can and does also offer free upgrades. Be sure not to confuse the two, as I did. (I guess that's what happens when you book two months before your trip and promptly forget because you are busy planning a second trip that happens before the first trip!) Either way, Justin and I were appreciative of the hotel staff working with us and removing our charge. It wasn't something they had to do, but since they were so kind about our misunderstanding, I felt I ought to mention it in my review.

 
view from room

Overall Review
★★★ (average)

Honestly, I have no complaints about the Hilton Myrtle Beach. The hotel staff was kind and hospitable. Breakfast was decent. The room was big and the bedding was comfortable. And whether we received our room upgrade for cost or not, we definitely enjoyed having a partial ocean view with a balcony and outdoor seating. Even though the price was a bit high (in my opinion), this is a hotel I would not hesitate to return to in the future.

Your Turn

When you travel to the beach, do you typically seek out the resort-style hotel that offers plenty of amenities to keep you on property? Or are you more of a traditional hotel kind of person? Just a place to lay your head?


Would you consider leaving the hotel balcony doors open all night just so you could hear the sound of the ocean waves crashing up against the shore?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...