A Bit of Advice…


A few years into dating, my husband transitioned from a die-hard protestant to a die-hard Catholic. Of course this resulted in conflicts of interest; could a protestant and Catholic marry?

Don't get me wrong.

Of course a Catholic and a protestant can marry!

But, if you happen to know any Catholics, you know that they have some rules you have to abide by … and some beliefs that are a bit hard for a run-of-the-mill Christian (by which I mean not hardcore protestant) to comprehend.

One of the biggest issues we ran into was that Catholics don't believe in the use of contraception.

ACK!

Do you know what that means?

No pills, no condoms, no surgeries…

I guess you can see why I was apprehensive.

And while there are many other complications to getting married to a Catholic, there has been one positive that has stood out to me most within the Catholic faith and that is… mass is very symbolic. Everything they do has meaning, from the 3 readings from the Bible to the kneeling during prayer. So, inevitably every mass is the exact same despite how crazy different they can all seem.

Prior to our wedding, Justin and I were suppose to decide on scripture for the mass. We decided against 1 Corinthians 13. I wanted something unique and not as overused as this verse. Nevertheless, I keep coming back to it. So, for today's #LoveBlog prompt, I have decided that 1 Corinthians 13 has been the best advice I have ever received with regards to loving people (and not just my husband).


I have tried to base all of my decisions around these words. When faced with a complicated situation, in deciding what is the right thing to do it is best to ask yourself: is what I am planning on doing loving? is it patient? is it kind? is what I want to do self-seeking? or fueled by anger?

No, I'm not always a saint and I do get things wrong. However if you are ever at a loss for what to do or how to handle a situation, I suggest always coming back to this verse. Make it your home. (Like in baseball or music.)

When my husband first became Catholic, I came to this verse feeling hopeless. What was I supposed to do? If I wasn't Catholic and wasn't ready for kids, could I actually marry this guy?

For me, it came down to 1 Corinthians 13 verse 8: "[love] always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." I would attempt to work things out no matter what, because that's what I felt God had called me to do; that's what it meant for me to love my significant other.

And really, I've taken the same sentiment toward friends. You will never see me directly end a friendship. I can't control what they do, but I can control how I respond.

So, there you have it. That's the best advice I have ever received. It may not be directly from a person, but it has helped me get through hard times and is non-specific enough that it can be used in almost any situation.

What's the best, most-loving advice you have ever received? Is there a Bible verse that holds special meaning for you? Or a quote that has shaped your relationships with others? 

1 comment:

  1. Even if it's "overused," that's a really good passage! Theological differences, especially theology that affects everyday life, can be an interesting thing to deal with in marriage. My husband actually left Catholicism in his teens...for a long time he and I were the only Protestants in his entire large family--the first time I ever went to Mass was with my in-laws and it was a very new experience for me. It was also in Spanish. I felt quite a bit like a 'fish out of water' but the Protestants and Catholics are all worshiping the same God and honestly we can get along with each other just fine, even if that hasn't always historically been the case!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...