A Break


March proved to be a stressful month for me. There were family complications, too many weddings, and just… a lot going on.

So last night Justin and I got away from it all. We had a date night. :)

I suppose that technically date nights are what happens when you are in your 30s (almost check) and you need to get away from the kids (not check), but I really needed some time away from it all. Recently when we've been home, I've been working on my stuff and Justin's been working on his stuff and we hardly even look at each other let alone say two words before it's time to turn out the light and go to bed. As you can imagine, at some point you start to wonder: do I even really know this person? Are we on the same page?

It's not that I doubted our marriage … ever.  I just needed attention? I needed someone to acknowledge that I existed and was important to them (him). And I needed the chance to let loose my frustration(s) and receive some feedback. I desired to hear someone say that everything would be ok.

So we had sugar – King of Pops Thin Mint popsicles, to be precise, because you can never go wrong with Girl Scout cookies/King of Pops popsicles for free on a 70º F day.

Then we went to eat at Brickstore. Justin got a beer and I got … texts … from my brother. All of the texts. "What type of computer do I need for editing images/movies?" he asked. "What type of camera should I get?" I passed the phone off to my husband who knows more about electronics than myself, quietly wishing my brother would just quit texting and give me a chance to talk to my husband in peace.

Even though our entire dinner was constantly interrupted by the buzzing of my cell phone, Justin understood when I still wasn't ready to return home. We went to Jeni's Ice Cream shop, within walking distance, watching the families out on the square, taking in the gorgeous violin music from a lady practicing in the bandstand, and enjoying the beautiful April weather as the sun set behind local buildings. At Jeni's we tried a new flavor: Savannah Buttermint. It was absolutely divine despite my being incredibly full from our meal.

We continued walking around, talking, daydreaming, making plans, and basking in the beautiful weather. Did I say the weather was gorgeous yet? ;) It was. I'm not a fan of hot, but I am definitely a fan of comfortable.

Finally, before our long trek (an hour drive) to our new home (this small city I speak of was our home until our landlord sold our house last year), we stopped at Java Monkey and got Justin an espresso. I was far too full to consume anything else, but the prospect of returning home was far too difficult to bear … just yet. By this time, the sun had already set as we found a table to sit at outside the small café. While I had hoped to sit and talk in peace, unfortunately we just happened to sit between a number of smokers taking away from the relaxed environment of it all. I would love to not care about people that smoke, but my nose says otherwise making it difficult to breathe in such situations. :-/

Needless to say, with an hour drive back, we didn't stay long, and around 8:30PM Justin and I started heading for our cars. As much as we love and miss our "hometown", it is not currently our place of residence. Someday I hope it will be again.

Date night definitely provided to be an enjoyable break from the daily grind and I look forward to doing it again in the near future.

Do you ever feel the need to get away from it all? What would a "break" consist of for you?



** Participate in the A-Z blogging challenge with me! You know you want to! :)

6 comments:

  1. Date nights are important for everyone, no matter their age or whether they have children or not. It's easy to get caught up in work when you live with someone, and forget to make time for fun.

    Last weekend, I made time for a date night with my boyfriend of six years. We went to the theatre, and then for a sushi dinner. It was an awesome opportunity to reconnect and get away from it all.

    One teensy suggestion, though? Shut off your cell phone during your date nights. Your brother can wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you were able to make time to go to the theatre and to get sushi! I'm sure you had an enjoyable time! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm sure it could have been more romantic… Truthfully though, it was just what I needed. :)

      Delete
  3. When I need a break from it all I head to the cinema. Preferably on a day and time when there will be few others there. Or get to the coast for that bracing walk along the beach which, unfortunately, is too far to be a regular occurrence these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! You make me want to go to the beach sooo much! There is nothing more calming than having your feet in the sand on a beautiful day with the sound of the ocean in the background. I guess it's time to start planning for vacation… :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...