Hot Air Balloon Festival

In this post, I talked about how travel is good for building your photography skills. I explained that pushing yourself out of your comfort zone encourages you to build creativity. How do you solve a problem when you find yourself in a new environment? Does being faced with a new location encourage you to see things in a "new light"?

Today, I'm going to challenge that perspective with pictures.

In 2013, I found out about a hot air balloon festival was happening just an hour north of my Atlanta-based home. Being the person that I am, I was all over it. I talked it over with Justin, and that morning we found ourselves awake and on the move at the crack of dawn to get to the site before the hot air balloons took off.

We even skipped breakfast.

If you know anything about Justin, you realize how brave of a move that was on my part.

You do not skip breakfast with Justin.

And coffee?

*shakes head disconcertedly*

But we made it. Hanger and all!

The parking lot wasn't very crowded. As it turns out, the balloons were going to be taking off from one of the more expensive neighborhoods in the vicinity. It was a bit confusing to find at first (who expects hot air balloons in a neighborhood?), but we found it! We arrived just as the sun was coming up… before many of the hot air balloonists had arrived!


Believe me! I was ready with camera in tow when the hot air balloonists did arrive!

One after the other, the balloons were set up. I think there were maybe 5-10 total? The balloons came together quickly and were sent up, up, and away quicker than you can even imagine… :)


One minute I was fighting the hoards of onlookers and looking for creative pumpkin shots (with hot air balloons in the background)…











…and the next, my camera lens was fogging up due to the frigid fall air that was making it difficult to get shots of the balloons in the sky.



After about an hour it became apparent that two of the balloons would never take …

That is when Justin and I decided to go find breakfast. At 8am on a Saturday we knew we'd be able to find somewhere amazing without having to worry about crowds! How lucky were we!

All in all, I think I got some pretty good shots and had a lot of fun seeing something different, located just outside of my hometown.

What do you think? Would you ever attempt to convince your spouse to wake up at early o'clock to attend and photograph an event like this, just for fun? Do you think small local events provide a good opportunity to see where you live from a different perspective? Have you ever had the chance to watch hot air balloons take off?

* I'm spending July writing my blog posts in response to all of the wacky (and not so wacky) national and international holidays that occur during this month. Today's image and blog post were chosen in response to National Simplicity Day, because, in my opinion, going to see a hot air balloon festival is just traveling on a much smaller scale. It's … simple. :)
** This post was written in advance. I am out of town and working full time most of this month. I appreciate your understanding if I am slow to respond to comments and questions. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...