Georgia A-Z Pt. 8

Dear Readers, I feel that the end is upon us. April A-Z ends in 3 days and today marks the end of my exploration of Georgia/Atlanta A-Z. Sad, right? What will I do next? :)

If you've missed any of my other Georgia A-Z posts, you can find them in the links below, listed by letter.

A-D • E-G • H-K • L-O • P-S • T • U-W

I've really enjoyed exploring and sharing tourist attractions in Georgia from A-Z and I've learned a lot from my experience, but I know I have missed plenty! If you have any that you think I should have included (or perhaps don't think I know about!), please share in the comments. As it is, with Museum week here in Atlanta this week I've already learned about a few museums I didn't even know existed! (If only I had more time to visit and take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer going on right now!)

Anyway, the following are the last 3 letters of the alphabet which, in my opinion, are the most difficult to find a location for:


X. SiX Flags Over Georgia

Opening in 1967, Six Flags Over Georgia is a 290 acre theme park just west of Atlanta featuring many of Warner Bros. Studios cartoon characters including Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Batman, and the Looney Tunes characters. The park was inspired by the six different flags that have flown over the state of Georgia: Spain, France, UK, USA, the Confederate States of America, and the Georgia state flag. That is the largest extent of historical themes found in the park, however.

Having been to the theme park multiple times in the past, I can't say that there is anything particularly memorable or striking about the park. Entrance is expensive at around $43 per person if you purchase online. Occasionally, in the past Publix grocery stores and Coca-Cola products carry coupons that can be used at the gate, but I haven't seen them in years. (Mainly because I don't go that often.) There are plenty of fun rides for kids and adults alike including lots of roller coasters, theatre shows, and carnival-like rides. If you go during the summer (and buy a separate pass) you can visit the sister theme park, White Water (which is more for kids than adults) that offers numerous water activities to keep the whole family both busy and cool during the hot Atlanta summers. (Don't forget sunscreen!!)


Y. Young Harris

A small town in north Georgia, this area offers fantastic views of the Appalachian mountains. It is the former hometown of Georgia Senator and Governor Zell Miller. It is also the location of the small, local private Young Harris College. You can visit the local Brasstown Valley Resort to hike, go horseback riding or play golf. It is also the perfect location to get away from the city/crowds and rent a cabin out in the woods. :)

While I attended college for a year in Young Harris, so much has changed that it's really hard for me to provide any recommendations for what to do there. One of my favorite restaurants up there was The Blue Otter which offered a view of a lake and mountains in the distance and they served some fantastic wings. (I don't even like wings if that says something!) Of course, the company I was with, my roommate in particular, may have tainted my memories of this place… Be sure to let me know if you ever go to Young Harris or this nearby restaurant in Hiawassee, GA to confirm whether or not it actually is good. :)


Z Zoo Atlanta!

Founded in 1889, when a businessman purchased a bankrupt circus and donated the animals to the city of Atlanta, the city opted to house the animals in Grant Park where they still exist today. The zoo continued to grow in the 1930s when another donate offered his private menagerie. By the 1970s many of the exhibits and attractions were looking outdated and in disrepair, so concerned citizens created the Atlanta Zoological Society raising funds to improve the zoo. In the 1980s, the zoo was privatized and went under aggressive restoration bringing in a pair of pandas as the star attraction.

As of today, the zoo offers a fantastic way to experience wildlife and provides many exciting events. Children can take advantage of the kiddie rides around the park (including a small train). If you are a public library pass holder in the state of Georgia, you can visit the zoo for free after requesting the pass from your local library. (It may be on hold or being used by another patron on the day you want, so be sure to stay flexible and ask in advance!) The zoo is open Monday through Friday from 9:30AM to 5:30PM and Saturday and Sunday until 6:30PM. The cost for an adult is $23 and children are $18. While, in my opinion, that's a bit high, if you stay for the day and perhaps leave the park to have a picnic lunch on benches outside of the park, it could be worth the cost in entertainment value. Do keep in mind, like other parks, drink and snack prices are also high.

So… what are your thoughts on my A-Z list? Do you have any other suggestions or recommendations? Have you been to any of these attractions?

X marks the spot. :)

** Participate in the A-Z blogging challenge with me! You know you want to! :)

6 comments:

  1. Six Flags Over Georgia is the only time I've ever been to Atlanta. I was only about ten years old, and while there, I went into the best haunted house EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you going during Fright Fest (at Halloween)? I can't say I've ever been to a haunted house at Six Flags, but I've only been once during Fright Fest and I've never searched one out.

      Delete
  2. The only Six Flags I have been to is the one in St. Louis. Thanks for visiting our blog.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that going to a Six Flags theme park while on vacation in another state never struck me as a thing to do… I can't say I blame you for never having visited SFOG. I do recommend checking out my extensive A-Z list for activities to do if you do ever come to GA though. I feel like I've covered something for everyone! :)

      Delete
  3. I've been to Six Flags in Georgia. I lived in Tennessee for almost 16 years, and visited Georgia often.

    It's the end of the challenge, and I'm just now discovering your blog, but I will return to check out your other A to Z posts about Georgia (and more!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, aweeeesome -- I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could discover yours! Georgia is my home state...I can tell I've got a lot of catching up to do here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...