IWSG #1


At the beginning of every month, as part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, I take a look at my successes (not just in writing), share the ways I hope to improve in the next month, answer the IWSG question of the month, and provide inspiration (if I have any).

December Goals
✓ Read a book. (2 Montreal travel guides)
✓ Family time
Christmas, Mom's birthday
✓ Finish Canada planning.
✓ Blog ahead.
✓ Two things on that list.
✗ Finish D.C. planning

Additional Successes –
✓ Went to Canada.

✓ Finished planning for Canada while on the trip!
✓ Finished Christmas shopping the day before Christmas!
✓ Shipped a Christmas gift to Germany a couple of days before Christmas and it's already arrived!

January Goals –
• Read two books.
• Finish DC planning (or don't go).

• Finish Hawaii planning.
• Use my book of writing prompts at least once this month.
• Move images from Canada trip to backup drive and clear out phone.

IWSG Question: What writing rule do you wish you'd never heard?

Use active voice.

Or, alternatively, don't use passive voice.

Argh.

It's great advice and improves one's writing immensely, but writing that way isn't natural for me. Instead, when I write for my blog, I tend to write in passive voice over active. I don't know if I'm afraid of what I'm trying to say or if I lack confidence in conveying my thoughts. Either way, it's a rule that I wish I had never read, because now I'm aware of it. I know I should do it; I just don't want to. *shrugs*

Your Turn

How was your holiday break? Did you do anything exciting? … just enjoy time at home with family and friends? Eat lots of good food?

Are there any particular writing or otherwise rules that you wish you had never heard? Anything that you know you should do, but you just don't want to?

Click here to learn more and
link up with IWSG!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...