Just For Fun


As you may be well aware, Justin and I spent approximately four days in Boston/Massachusetts this past summer visiting with Justin's extended family and exploring. Before we left to come back home, Justin's great uncle offered to let us take a few of the treasures he had obtained over the years. Having grown up and lived in the same house all of his life, his home was simply bursting with treasures and hidden finds that he wanted to share with his family.

Before leaving, Justin had found a few 1950s soda bottles, a can of emergency water created in the 1950s by the U.S. Coast Guard, old books (as in published in the 1800s), and (a thrill of mine) a 1967 polaroid camera. (We also came back with tons of family pictures and memorabilia that I am suppose to scan and fix, but that is another story!)

One of the most exciting finds for me as a book lover was the book From Gold to Grey by Mary D. Brine. While I had never heard of it, the illustrations were absolutely stunning. It turns out (as we believe) the book was a gift to Justin's great great grandmother Eleanor upon her graduation from school. (High school perhaps?) I don't really know a whole lot about her other than she was rich and she hated her son-in-law (Justin's great grandfather?) because he wasn't. haha.

Anyway, I don't know a whole lot about the book (or author) either other than it is a book of poetry. I don't think it's worth a whole lot of money simply because you can find it online and read it here at the Boston Public Library archive. I am actually pretty excited that the book exists photographed online in a downloadable archive so that I don't have to worry about messing up the binding (or book), but I can still read it if I would like. :)

While I was looking around on google for information regarding this book, I stumbled across Robin's Egg Bleu, an etsy shop that sells vintage items one of which was the book I was just speaking of. (Apparently the owner sold it in 2011.) While Robin's Egg Bleu may no longer have From Gold to Grey in stock, there are definitely a number of cute and interesting vintage items that can be obtained there. I'm definitely loving the Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and the 4 antique glass goblets being sold there currently.

So what do you think? Are you going to go read From Gold to Grey via the archive? (I haven't read it yet, but I'm assuming it is good.) Do you like collecting vintage items? Do you have any special vintage items passed down from another generation?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...