My Travel Style

I found the following survey on Johnny Jet, a website I have only recently started following. I thought it would give you a good idea about the kind of travel I enjoy doing, where I hope to go in the future, and the places I most highly recommend that I've been to thus far! :)

Sometimes red, white and blue is associated with other countries…

How often do you fly? Not very. Two roundtrip flights last year and so far only one scheduled for this year although we are looking for another to occur in November.
How many countries have you been to? 5 including my own. :)
How many continents have you been to? 2. :-/
Earliest travel memory: I think I've already shared it, but going to Disney World when I was 6 really stands out.
Favorite American city: Either Charleston or NYC. I've visited Charleston so much it feels like it's getting old and I'm running out of things to do there, but NYC always has something new going on! Then again, Charleston is much cleaner than NYC could ever dream of being. If there were some combination of the two, I'd probably love it. :)
Favorite international city: Marseille followed up by Paris for many of the same reasons I can't choose between NYC and Charleston. :)
I have no desire to go to: If given the choice/opportunity I would go anywhere, but I'm not too keen on experiencing Vietnam in the summer or experiencing mosquitos in Africa. I've also heard odd things about the Chinese. Then again, despite all of the nastiness that exists in the world (including mosquitos carrying malaria), there is also so much beauty. Having the opportunity to photograph a wild animal in it's natural environment while on an African safari would be crazy awesome! And seeing the Great Wall of China would be pretty great too. I have no idea what's in Vietnam, but I could definitely be convinced to travel there as well… 
Friendliest people in the world: the Germans. :) I might be a bit biased though…
Country with the meanest immigration officers: France? We didn't actually deal with the immigration officers too much, but the people at CDG were so completely unhelpful and rude both the first day we arrived to Europe and the day we flew out. I'm not entirely certain that they were trying to be rude, but it seemed that they were just annoyed with our existence. Justin has decided he will never fly in or out of CDG again. As for me, I could go either way; people usually deserve second chances. :)

Water, water everywhere! (source)

Favorite World Heritage Site: Venice was very beautiful and reminded me so much of the Disney World Italy exhibit at Epcot. I had to keep reminding myself that this wasn't Disney World; this was the real deal. Of course, I also very much enjoyed walking along the banks of the Seine River in Paris. I bought 4 beautiful Chinese knock off paintings that I can't wait to frame and hang in my home! I'll be honest with you though – the views I encountered on the Seine were only so-so. Venice was much prettier.
Favorite airline: Delta. I've been on Delta, Frontier, and Air France. The food is amazing on Air France, but the seats and leg room are so much better on Delta. I've never had good customer service with any of the airlines though…
Favorite aircraft type: Not a clue. I like leg room and comfy seats. (Doesn't everybody?)
Aisle or window: Window. And yes, I am totally that annoying person who leaves the window blinds up as the sun rises over the ocean because it is just magical! :) Screw your sleep schedule.
Favorite airport lounge: Umm… what's that? ;) Seriously – no experiences here. I need more money and more flights for that to happen.
Favorite U.S. airport: ATL especially for flying internationally. The layout is really awesome and easy to navigate.
Favorite international airport: not CDG. :)
Favorite hotel: The Grand Hyatt in DC.
Favorite cruise line: I've never been on a cruise. :-/
Favorite travel credit card: Capital One Venture. I love the cash back and lack of foreign exchange fees.
Favorite island: I've never been on an island…
Favorite beach: Kiawah near Charleston, SC
Favorite fancy restaurant: Slightly North of Broad in Charleston, SC. Every time we go there the food is good. Always. Fleming's, sister restaurant of Outback, is also really good but more of a chain and less of a local establishment.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Crêperie des Pêcheurs in Paris, France :)
Favorite bar: Brickstore Pub in Decatur, GA
Favorite fruit: raspberry
Favorite food: Right now I'm liking the sweets – macarons and homemade ice cream. As for legit things – I've been craving a vegetable plate from SNOB in Charleston with roasted tomatoes, squash, zucchini, asparagus, and cheese grits among other things. Yum! :)
Least favorite food: hot dogs, fish, anything spicy, anything weird
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Right now it's Brazilian lemonade, but I also love French limonade! Yum!
Favorite travel movie(s): Charade with Audrey Hepburn. It's the only movie I've seen while traveling and it was such a fun movie that I would happily watch it again! Plus, I loved that the movie took place in Europe which I was traveling home from at the time. :)


Favorite travel show(s): I've never watched a show while traveling, but the last person to do this survey before me said Gilligan's Island and I have to agree; that would be an awfully fun and amusing show to watch while traveling.
Favorite travel book(s): I don't typically read books while traveling. I can never predict when it will make me sick to read in the car. Then, when I'm actually at the location visiting, I simply have too much to do! Now that I have an iPad I may considering downloading a book or two prior to my next vacation and reading that rather than worrying with a thick book or even taking my computer. The lighter the better when traveling, right?
Right now I am reading: Joseph McGinnis's Fatal Vision and Stephanie Clifford's Everybody Rise. I'm reading a book on Wattlpad too, but I haven't touched it in nearly 3 months, so I don't remember the name.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Boarding Area, Extreme Hotel Deals, The Points Guy
Favorite travel website(s): ITA Matrix, Kayak
5 things you bring on a plane: iPhone, headphones, a jacket (to use as a blanket and/or pillow), iPod, and sparkling water
What do you always seem to forget? a hairband. Luckily rubber bands work just as well and hotels always seem to have them!
What do you like least about travel? Getting to and from locations and having to ask off from work. Oh - and losing money by not being at work. AND all of the work that gets piled up while I'm gone! Argh!
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? When my necklace broke in Atlanta prior to traveling to Paris, I wanted my loved one to buy me toothfloss to fix it. (And it did! … temporarily.) Aside from that and maybe some candy and a French limonade to drink while on the plane, there hasn't been a whole lot from a duty free shop that I have wanted. 
Most embarrassing travel moment: not knowing how to work half of the things in the bathroom while traveling through Europe. Also, assuming that my way (as in the way that I have observed that most Americans do particular things) is the only way… Let's just say that I learned a lot on that trip.
I’m embarrassed that I haven’t been to: too many places.
Worst travel moment: Several come to mind – Traveling for 24 hours in the car from Boston to Atlanta, missing our flight from France back home to Atlanta

Such beautiful flowers!

What’s your dream destination? Now that I've been to Europe, I'd like to see the cherry blossoms in Japan, and spend new years eve in Australia one year. Of course Hawaii, California, Amsterdam (specifically), NYC at Christmas time, and Paris on Bastille Day are all pretty high up there as well. 
Favorite travel charity: I wasn't aware of any travel charities until I looked at a few after reading this question. I think one of the ones I'd be most interested in donating to is the USO Wishbook. Justin and I know so many people working in the services that don't get to spend as much time with their families as they would like. I love that this particular charity helps give back to those who fight for our freedom. You can pick what you are donating towards – such as a phone call home,  military spouse appreciation event, or even a family fun day. I'm certain that all of the men and women who work in the services would appreciate anything this charity has to offer them. I will definitely consider giving to USO Wishbook in the future. :)
Best travel tip: Don't buy food on the plane. Get a Charles Schwab account before flying to Europe from America. Traveling with friends and/or family is much better than traveling alone. :)

What's your travel style? Do we share any of the same favorites? Be sure to let me know if you fill out this survey on your own blog! Or fill it out in the comments! I'm sure you have some awesome travel secrets to reveal to the world!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...