Best Tourist Attractions In The US

Thrillist, a fantastic website for finding just about anything to do anywhere, recently posted a list of the top tourist attraction in each state. Even though I haven't been to very many states, I decided to take on the list and see, of the states I've been to, how many tourist attractions I've done…

States in the US I've been to … Or at least drove through.


1. Alabama – US Space and Rocket Center

I went in elementary school. I don't remember much about it aside from the Dippin Dots ice cream, which was a new thing at the time.

2. Florida – Disney World

If you live within driving distance of Orlando, Florida and grew up sometime after the opening of the WDW Park, you've probably been. I remember going once at the age of 6, again at 10, and for the last time at age 12. We even took the grandparents one year and walked them to death. They learned quickly that they were far too old to ever vacation with me and my younger brother again. Of course, the problem was probably more so the heat index of 100+ and the high humidity Florida is known for. As you age that high heat and humidity slowly ruins any desire you may have for visiting Florida, or at least it did for me.

3. Georgia – Georgia Aquarium

Having only been to one other aquarium in my life, located in Chattanooga, TN, I have found that the Georgia Aquarium is one of the most interesting and busiest aquariums to visit in the south. (Be sure to let me know if I am wrong.) With ticket prices at $30+ a head, it's hard to fathom going more than once to see the humongous whale sharks or pet the sting rays. Do keep in mind though that you can go free on your birthday though!

4. New York – Statue of Liberty

I can't say I've actually been on to Liberty or Ellis Island, but I've seen the Statue of Liberty from the coast of NYC; does that count? … Of course, then I looked at the website and saw that there are 377 steps going up to the top of the Statue of Liberty, so I'm guessing it doesn't. :( I just don't have any reason to visit. Readers, have you seen the view from the top? Is it worth the climb?

5. North Carolina – Biltmore Estates

My parents claim we went once when I was younger, but I don't remember much about that. More recently, my husband and I bought a season pass and we've been at least 3 times since. (The pass pays for itself if you go at least twice in the year.) I plan to go at least once more in the fall and then again in the winter. The estates are simply gorgeous and it's a lot of fun to explore the trails. (Most tourists are just interested in the house, which is grand and enormous, but gets boring after the second or third walk-through.)

6. South Carolina – Historic Charleston

I am a little surprised that Thrillist chose the whole town for this rather than singling out one attraction or another. To be fair though I suppose historic Charleston could be considered a rather large tourist attraction in the same way that Disney World is one. All of the historic homes are unique and interesting and there is so much history that is spread out all through the area. It's hard to visit just one spot and call your trip to Charleston done.

7. Virginia – Colonial Williamsburg

One of the colleges I was considering was located here, so my family stopped by one year on our way to Washington DC. We explored George Washington's estates and simply took in the beauty and historicness that makes Colonial Williamsburg a tourist attraction. Is it the most interesting thing to do? I suppose it depends on how interested in colonial American history you are…

Given that there are 50 states in the US and I've only been to 7 attractions, it would seem I still have a lot of attractions left to explore, see, and do! How many US tourist attractions have you been to on the Thrillist list?

2 comments:

  1. The mountain west is one of the most scenic places in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mountain West? Where is that? What is it? Google wasn't terribly helpful… :-/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...