21 Things to Do In Charleston, SC … That I've Never Done Before

I love seeing sunsets near water…

I've been to Charleston a lot. We're talking once a year almost every year for the past ten years. It is quite possibly one of my favorite cities to visit. There are definitely places I eat and things I do nearly every time I go. I've made lists of those on the blog before which can be found here (where to stay), here (what to do) and here (where to eat). Today I'm going to list 21 things (because it's July 21st) in Charleston that I haven't done so that when I return for my birthday I'm not struggling to figure out what to do in (what feels like) an ever-shrinking city.

1. South Carolina Aquarium

I've been to the aquariums in Chattanooga, TN and Atlanta, GA, but what is special about the one in Charleston, SC aside from it's existence on the coastline and in one of my favorite cities? Perhaps it's time to find out!

2. Cypress Gardens

We rarely visit outdoor gardens in Charleston when we are there, and specifically swamps, because of the excess heat in the summer. But to see all of the gorgeous wildlife, it might be worth it at some point in the future… Plus, this is where The Notebook was filmed! :)

3. McLeod Plantation

Recently opened to the public, it has a number of great reviews on TripAdvisor and it was recently reviewed on one of the blogs I follow. It looks like a gorgeous plantation so rich in history!

Crazy beautiful, but just a tad bit spooky too!

4. Boneyard Beach on Bull's Island

Apparently you aren't allowed to remove anything from this section of a small remote island located a ferry ride away from Charleston. I'd love to take advantage of one of the sunrise photo tours; all of the pictures of the sunrise from this desolate beach look amazing!

5. Fort Lamar Historic Preserve

I had never heard of this site until I discovered it listed on TripAdvisor. I've been to a few of the other war sites around Charleston, so perhaps I should finish what I started and check this one out too?

6. Take in a Rooftop View

Let's be honest. I've done this a few times before, but usually we go to the Pavilion Bar at the Market Pavilion Hotel. The last time I did any research regarding this, there were only two rooftop bars (that I'm aware of) that were in existence, and the only other one I knew of (Rooftop Bar at The Vendue Inn) always seemed crazy crowded and super loud with bands playing every weekend night. With that not being my style (I prefer swanky with jazz music or silence being the ideal hotel sunset background noise) Justin and I have always avoided the Vendue Inn and gone straight for the Pavilion Hotel enjoying a much quieter, and more laid-back atmosphere (as well as high prices, but you know you are paying for the view when you go up there!). Now that I've discovered even more locations to take in a gorgeous sunset, perhaps my husband and I should explore them? I can think of nothing better to do during a relaxing evening in Charleston (aside from walking on the beach while everyone else is at dinner, but that's a different story!).

7. Mepkin Abbey

Having only been to one abbey in our entire lives, I'm certain Justin, my husband and a devout Catholic, would enjoy a visit to this facility established in 1949 along the Cooper River in Charleston. As for me, I think I would enjoy seeing the beautiful gardens located here…

8. Take in a show at the Dock Street Theatre

A gorgeous theatre from the inside out, built originally in 1736, then rebuilt in1835 originally as a hotel and later altered after the hotel floundered in 1935, the Dockside Theatre has captured my interested since I originally discovered it randomly on a walk through Charleston. (Actually, I think we had parked nearby and were walking somewhere to eat…) Anyway, if you combine my love for the theatre with a gorgeous old building in one of my favorite cities in the south, I think you will find the epitome of things I love. One day I will see a show at this theatre and it will be magnificent! Until then…

9. Irvin House vineyards

Southern wine ftw! Seriously! While French wine is definitely better than California wine, I 've never had wine from Charleston. (There's probably a good reason for that.) Anyway, there's a first time for everything!

There are so many awesome things to do in downtown Charleston!

10. Eat breakfast at Toast

The line is always super long at this well documented (on the internet, that is) breakfast joint. The menu looks appealing, and I'm not too interested in returning to Hominy Grill. (The food is good there, but I've had it already…)

11. Visit Summerville's Azalea Park

Just outside of Charleston, Summerville offers a gorgeous park full of luscious blooms that look worthy of a springtime visit. I foresee an after dinner evening stroll here in my future… :)

12. Go bird watching/looking at the Francis Beidler Forest

This isn't usually a vacation must, but I definitely think it could be relaxing and fun to explore the swamp area and discover all that the Francis Beidler Forest has to offer… Plus, I need to practice taking pictures of wildlife!

13. Chow down on a Culinary Food Tour

The thing that makes Charleston Charleston beyond the history, shops, and beaches is the amazing food. Around every corner there are fantastic restaurants both large scale and hole-in-the-wall. Seriously, you never really know if you are eating at a tourist trap or at a place known by locals as the best of the best. From what I understand, there is only one way to tell (aside from asking locals and doing tons of research beforehand, which I've done in the past FYI): go on a culinary food tour. They have options related to which area of town you are in as well as the best food in Charleston… The tour you choose is up to you. As much good food as I've had in Charleston, I'd consider taking one tour a day until I had eaten a little something at all of the restaurants! Unfortunately at $50 a head, that's just not going to happen. In the mean time, perhaps one carefully chosen tour will suffice. Now, which one… :)

Beautiful gardens are everywhere in Charleston!

14. See a sunrise at White Point Gardens

Thank goodness for lists like this or I would never have known about this must-do activity. Yes, I definitely want to see a sunrise here. And everywhere else in Charleston. The question is: how do I make myself get up at early o'clock in the morning to see it? Hmmm…

15. FIG is calling my name … And has been for some time

Justin and I actually, finally, have reservations here. Almost 10PM reservations, but … whatever. I'll take what I can get. AND!! That was booking two weeks in advance! This restaurant is crazy-hard to get into and I plan on milking this reservation for all it's worth! Hello delicious food!

16. Buy a painting

I would love to have beautiful artwork from every place I've visited and Charleston is no exception. The beautiful moss covered trees, gorgeous cobblestone walkways, and pristine beaches all make for lovely artwork. Yes, I can take pretty photos of the scenery, but there is an emotion found within local artwork that makes it that much better. They know the back alleys and forgotten landscapes far better than I ever could. Plus, I like supporting local artists.

Sunsets make me happy. :)

17. See dolphins at sunrise or sunset at the Station 12 Beach Access in Sullivan's Island

So there are typical sunrises and sunsets anywhere (beautiful as they may be), but how many offer a view of dolphins during those magical times? When this writer wrote about dolphins, I knew this was a must-see.

18. Explore Botany Bay

A little bit like the Boneyard Beach on Bull's Island, this beach is very desolate with dead tree limbs littering the coastline for gorgeous beachside views (albeit not a great walking area). Now that I know about it, perhaps my husband and I will get a chance to explore the area and see just what majestic beauty this area actually has.

19. Stay at a Bed & Breakfast.

I don't have any mind, but I think that this would definitely be a fun and enjoyable experience and provide an entirely different view of the city I hold so dear.

20. Go on a sunset dinner cruise.

Eat delicious food and watch the sunset from a boat? Sounds good to me! :)

21. Stay at the gorgeous Wentworth Mansion

For our upcoming trip, I booked a hotel with my IHG points (Free FTW!), but one day it would be nice to stay in this highly rated luxury hotel. Perhaps another birthday in the future… (Hint, hint Justin!)

With so many things to do in Charleston, it's hard to do and see (and eat!) everything! Return trips are definitely required. I'm so excited about my upcoming birthday celebration trip here now that I've discovered so many places via Google that I never knew about! Hopefully, if you've been to Charleston before this guide will help you also find something new and exciting to do the next time you visit… And if you've never visited Charleston at all, be sure to check out the previous guides I've written before going. Charleston may seem like a small one-day visit kind of city, but it's really not. You should know what you are getting yourself into before you go! :)

Keeping in mind I'm about to return to Charleston for my birthday, if you've been before (or live there) what would you suggest I do? Is anything on this list particularly amazing? Did I miss something vital?

If you haven't been to Charleston, where would you go and what would you do? Did anything on my list spark your interest?

1 comment:

  1. The best part about the east coast is the history from the colonial area that is dotted all along that region.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...