Refinery 29: Style Stalking Review


I'm always on the look out for awesome books that can help me reinvent my style. I purchase so many cute pieces from Anthropologie, Free People, and the like, but when I get them home, they sit in my closet because I simply don't know how to wear them. My style isn't particularly well thought-out 90% of the time. Instead I rely on clothing that is comfortable and makes me happy so when I see a book about style I always want to glance through it to see if I can find any new and exciting fun tricks to amp my wardrobe choices up a bit.

Upon first glance, I really did not like or agree with what I was *seeing* in Refinery 29: Style Stalking. The looks were too bold, too colorful, and simply too much. Denim on denim on denim is simply not my style. I'm also not a huge fan of making ugly pretty. After spending over an hour reading through the commentary including interviews with fashionistas, style ideas for every season, ways to break rules while still looking cute, and suggestions for wearing one piece in multiple ways, I came away from the book feeling as though I had learned a lot about fashion and generating an individual style.

I feel that this quote summarizes this book best:

"For me getting dressed is so much more about satisfying a personal whim than getting dressed  for other people. Those whims and themes and moods, though, are more like 'I want to dress like autumn leaves' or 'I want to channel Elizabeth Bennet' than looking sexy or slim or pulled-together." - Susanna Lau

To Christian Barberich and Piera Gelardi, authoresses of Refinery 29: Style Stalking, getting dressed is an event and about designing yourself for a particular day rather than looking the same as everyone else. If you want to wear a t-shirt and jeans with high-heels, they suggest going for it! If you like t-shirts with skirts, they offer ideas for you to pull that off too!

In the end, I highly recommend this book if you are still defining your quirky style or you want ideas to dress a little differently. I'm a little too conservative for this book to really make a difference in my wardrobe, but I could definitely see it being useful for someone who wants people to wonder how they pulled off such an awesome outfit. :)

For more information, be sure to check out their website here.

You can also purchase Refinery 29: Style Stalking from Amazon here.

Have a fantastic weekend!

* I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for sharing my opinion. All opinions shared in this review are my own.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...