An Hour on Etsy

When a friend of mine posted a link to her etsy shop featuring some linocuts for sale, I decided to take a gander and see what type of (legit) artwork I could find during an hour long search of the site. I wondered how I would know if the work was legit, and what I was willing to pay or if I was willing to pay for copies. The hour long search became a soul search as I questioned my thoughts on art, what I deemed good vs. bad, worthwhile vs. not. Below are a few pieces that I stumbled upon that I liked and might consider adding to a home collection in the future:

Patriots Point Mount Pleasant Marina Sunset

I began my search with Charleston in mind since I had just visited. We spent a good bit of time meandering through art galleries including one that was going out of business and offering 50% off. None of the work stood out as something Justin and I had to have. I would love to have artwork all over my house from places that I have traveled though. I think I would end up with a lot of pieces featuring the ocean.

The piece above was the only piece in 5 pages of paintings of Charleston that got my attention. I saw many, many pieces that were "painted" and sent from China, but I just wasn't sure I could trust those pieces. I googled Ginette Callaway and discovered that she was indeed a real artist.

Blue Irises and Butterflies

One of the things I absolutely love about her work is the combination of pen drawing and watercolor paint. Then, to top it off, look at the lovely colors she includes. I think she may have included a rainbow of color in each of her pieces. <3. I also love that the color is only really a suggestion in her work. This is approximately where the grass blades would end and the sky begins; this is about where the ocean is and the boat reflections would be. I like that the only marks that are really set in stone are her pen marks and even they are open to suggestion. Yes, Ginette Callaway, you are an artist after my own heart.

Wildflowers

(Sorry. I had to include one more!)

Next, I began to search for Parisian paintings. I wondered if I would see any of the street art from the Parisian streets being sold off as original work despite the fact that there are millions of stands in Paris selling the exact same prints. As with Charleston, I decided that anything from China was not worth even a penny. I'm sure I bought some China knock-offs in Paris, but at least I was in Paris at the time. Buying Chinese knock-offs from Etsy? No. Surprisingly, I found more artists selling prints of paintings of Paris rather than the actual paintings even when I excluded anything from China in my search. Another key to my interest level was 1) whether or not the artist could be googled and 2) whether or not the piece was signed. Obviously price is generally a good indicator of whether or not a piece is real, but there are all kinds of people online and you never really know what you are going to get until you get it. Decisions have to be made about the artist and work prior to purchasing. Having very little money to devote to art, I decided that having a print of a work is acceptable as long as I have reason to conclude that the artist is selling prints of their own work. Paintings take a lot of work and I realize that numbered prints are one way for artists to make more money off of their work more quickly than creating a few dozen paintings. (Artists have to live and eat too!)

Boulangerie

This painting reminds me of a donut or cupcake shop in the US. Fun, girly, pink with sprinkles. How cute! I sincerely doubt that this individual has ever been to Paris (although I could be wrong!), but yeah… the only reason I really liked this painting is that it reminds me of a cupcake. Yum! Keep up the good work Clare Caulfield!

A Bit of Paris

I have been in love with the piece above for years … ever since pinterest became a thing. It may have been one of the first pieces I pinned to a board! When I see this piece, I think of Aristocats and 101 Dalmations. Especially in 101 Dalmatians when Pongo judges other dogs and their owners. I guess the drawing style looks very similar seeing as you don't see too many buildings in the scene… And doesn't 101 Dalmatians take place in London? Ah well!


Don't you just love this scene? :)

Café in Paris

This image reminds me of painting prints you find at stores when you are looking for decorations. It doesn't change how much I love the style though. I'm not sure I would pay $600 for it though even if it is original!

Notre Dame Seine River

And finally, last but not least. This image makes me think of Japanese art, but the artist is actually from Germany! I'm not sure I would buy the piece since it is not original, and I feel that you wouldn't truly be able to see the texture that I love so much in this piece as a printed copy. I do love the style though.

Have you ever taken the time to glance through the large body of artwork available on Etsy? How would you choose what is a keeper and what isn't? Would you trust artwork from China?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...