Throwback Thursday: Simple Things


A million and a half years ago, I was a volunteer at the public library, in charge of helping with the children's program, doing paperwork, shelving books in the children's section, and so much more. The best part of the gig was the free books I received: all of which were new and none of which I actually found time to read.

That particular summer, the majority of my friends were busy being … well, busy. Rather than sit around bored, I often found myself online chatting in a forum with a group of guys and girls who often threatened to throw kitchen utensils at one another. We had fun: we laughed and joked making fun of one another. Before I knew the time had even passed, an hour would go by … then two …

Right around my birthday that year, one of the guys from the group had the gumption to private message me and tell me he had a crush on me. It wasn't the first time a guy had announced his interest, but it was the first time a guy I had met online, who just so happened to live in the same state as me and was (not quite) twice my age had indicated interested. I'll be honest – I was appalled. And scared. First of all, how was I to know what kind of person he actually was? Then, to top it off, I was sincerely worried that the friendship would change into something uncomfortable. :( Needless to say, I was very upset when that conversation ended.

My birthday party was going to be held the next day. I had invited my clique of high school friends, only a few of which I was really close to. Slowly the party was falling apart though. One person backed out … then another.

This was not how I had envisioned my birthday celebration to go.

As I drove to the library that particular morning an unfamiliar song came on the radio: Amy Grant's "Simple Things". I was familiar with the sound of Amy Grant from the early 90s, but this new style? I wasn't sure if I liked it. As I listened to the lyrics though, I could relate to the desire of wanting to "believe in simple things". Within the next week, I had started a paper journal to document every single, simple moment that made me happy. Everything from what someone had offhandedly said to me, to a piece of mail I received unexpectedly, to a good grade on a test, or the beauty of a sunrise. Documenting these moments allowed me to realize that not only was I not alone in this world, but that I was loved and my life was good.

(By the way, the friendship with that guy did fall apart after his announcement, and all of the people that had backed out of coming to my birthday party came anyway. You win some, you lose some?)

While I haven't documented positive moments like that in years, I've decided that since I've had a *difficult* week, it couldn't hurt to do so again. Besides, it is one of my next prompts for The SIT's girls March blog challenge anyway. :)

The following are the 14 things that have made me happiest in the past 7 days (2 for each day):

Tr
• Having the free time to watch a movie before work.
• Hearing Meghan Traino's "All About That Base" for the first time on my Pandora playlist during my drive home in miserable, rainy traffic. It made me laugh. :)

Fr
• It was Friday, duh!
• Having dinner out with my in-laws and my sister-in-law's in-laws at a "rehearsal" dinner. (Is it still a rehearsal if the wedding is more of an elopement?)

Sa
• Taking all of the pictures at the wedding… (I like taking pictures.)
• Decorating a wedding cake for the bride at the last minute with florals from the grocery store. :)

Su
• My hair still looked good from Saturday's updo… (I love having pretty hair!)
• Buying a keyboard for Justin's ipad so that now it looks like a tiny computer. :)

Mo
• Finding out that a mystery shop I did would unexpectedly be accepted! Yay!
• DQ free cone day. (Because ice cream.)

Tu
• Having Chick-Fil-A for lunch! :) (I rarely eat out for lunch.)
• Beautiful weather! Too warm for a jacket, too cool to sweat.

Wed (2 extra for yesterday since I don't remember last Wednesday!)
• Finished The Bro Code. It was good, but not necessarily great.
• Got to make snow cones, play Monopoly, and watch The Flash with the kids I babysit. :)
• Received the perfect baby gift from Amazon for my new niece or nephew.
• Had lunch out with my mom. (Once again, a rarity.)

What "simple" things have made you happy over the past few days? Has there been a time in your life when you've been really down and out and a song helped to uplift your spirits?

* Thanks to the SITS Girls for providing today's writing prompt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...