Shake it off! Shake it off!

image from here via Photopin

One of the best things about my job is that no matter what is going on in my life, the kids I watch are all about themselves and having fun. Drama and sadness have to be left at the door, which is generally a good policy to begin with. Inundating your family and friends with your negative emotions only brings down everyone.

Of course, in contradiction, blogging is quite the opposite. It's often looking inward at what I need to improve in my life in hopes that it will benefit others perhaps going through the same types of things. Unfortunately, when you are already sad, it's not always best to look inwards. Sometimes it's better to look outwards – distract yourself with tv, movies, books, sleep, any conversation that is about anything but the elephant in the room (or your head).

Dear friends, let me be straight. I am not a medical advisor, psychologist, therapist, or psychiatrist. If you are seriously dealing with depression and you think you need help, please don't rely on distractions to help you get through whatever you are dealing with. Seek out real people and real help. I am only writing about my experience.

Anyway, the following, in accordance with 30 Lists, are the 4 things I need to shake off Taylor Swift style:
1. Being uninvited to a wedding. 
via text
Seriously! 
Who does that? 
You can be invited. You can be not invited. But uninvited?  
I don't understand. 
2. Rude, unappreciative family. 
I won't elaborate, but it has recently overwhelmed and stressed me out. 
3. Feeling trapped. 
via student loan debt. 
Should I have skipped out on college? Is there anything we can do to pay down our loans faster? 
4. Travel. 
Justin had been saving all of his vacation time for the wedding we were uninvited to. Now I don't know where to go or what to do. Getting away from everyone is looking better and better though…
While I am quite certain that in 5 years hence, this all will be water under the bridge, right now I'm finding these issues to be big and unwieldy. Maybe I can find the Taylor Swift within, jump around and shake it off. Or maybe I'll just sleep it off. It's hard to say.

Is there anything in your life that you just need to shake off?

* I'm participating in 30 Days of Lists (sort of). Are you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...