Five Favorite Holiday Drinks

image from: Tony Blay

This time of year is filled to the brim with celebrations both bigs and small. In November, we kick off the holiday season with Thanksgiving, a holiday where we spend hours preparing in the kitchen. As for my husband and I we spend the weeks beforehand shopping at nearly every grocery store around. Then, after Thanksgiving has come to a close, we begin preparing for Christmas. We seek out gingerbread for gingerbread houses, the ingredients to make sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies, whatever we need for Christmas dinner including hams, turkeys, and all of the fixings, and most especially Starbucks beverages with pumpkin and caramel to get us through our busy days. Because our days from here until the end of the year are filled with so much food (and busy-ness), I have decided to digress a bit and share my top five favorite holiday drinks (rather than sharing holiday food favorites). These drinks are fun to share with friends and bring happiness and a sense of relaxation (and in some cases warmth) at one of the busiest times of the year.

1. Starbuck's Hot Caramel Apple Cider with Whipped Cream (in a small)

I don't necessarily go out of my way to get this, but omg it is amazing! At first I bought it as an alternative to hot chocolate before I realized how many calories are in that thing. It's truly scary, so I've backed down to getting a small (more or less a sip or two) every once in a while. It is a wonderful drink in small portions occasionally, but I have decided it is truly the best when drank out of a red Starbucks branded Christmas cup during the late fall and winter months … otherwise it's just another drink. ;)

2. Hot Chocolate from The Chocolate Fetish in Asheville, NC (sorry to be particular)

Justin says the hot chocolate at The Chocolate Fetish is comparable to what I had in France, but my taste buds don't have memories so I wouldn't know. Basically the chocolate in this hot chocolate is so rich, thick, and creamy that is basically like you are drinking a chocolate bar. It's far too sweet for the morning … and almost too sweet for the afternoon, but it is so much better than any hot chocolate I have ever had at Starbucks or the like. Last time I got it, Justin and I split a small cup and it was the perfect amount for walking through bookshops and sipping on a chilly day in North Carolina. I highly recommend checking out the chocolate store and trying this delicious beverage if you happen to find yourself wandering through the area at some point in the near future.

3. Champagne

Any champagne will do on New Years Eve. There is nothing quite as exciting as counting down the minutes to the new year and being able to toast with a sparkly drink. :)

4. Eggnog

My mom doesn't like the taste of milk and she strongly associates eggnog with milk, so I always assumed as a child (despite the fact that I liked milk) that I also would not like eggnog. Not so. Justin introduced me to it one Christmas by adding a little extra milk and some nutmeg to a premade mix from the store, and I fell in love. He described the taste as that of "Christmas", and I have come to believe that he is correct. There is nothing better than drinking "Christmas"; it just makes you happy. :)

5. Peppermint Milkshake from Chick-Fil-A

Their peppermint milkshakes are delicious, yummy, super-fattening, and too cold to be drank at this time of year. But guess what? I live in Georgia where we are currently experiencing 70 degree weather in December. It is hot (for this time of year) and milkshakes are delicious. :)

What are your favorite holiday beverages? Have you tried anything interesting like the new Cranberry Mountain Dew? Are you a fan of the classics – like the ones I mentioned above? Or do you prefer to spice things up with some alcohol? Share with me some of your favorites! I love learning about and trying new things!

* I'm participating in Blogmas 2014! Are you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...